Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help finding a clicking sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadking1733

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Need help finding a clicking sound Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard a clicking or popping type sound coming from the rear? I have a 2004 TJ with a coil spacer lift running 33X12.50. I bought the Jeep new and its my third Wrangler. My kid got into kart racing over the summer and I had to trailer the kart to the track. Trailer and all couldnt have weighed over 900 pounds. I started noticing that once I got off the Interstate, I would hear a clicking or popping sound at low speeds. Usually, pulling from a light. I had the rear fluid changed after someone told me about water and TJ`s with automatics but it still does it. If anyone has any ideas, help me out.
Grim Jeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Popping in the rear Reply with quote

Check torque on all suspension pivot points:
1. upper control arms - both ends
2. lower control arms - both ends
3. track bar - both ends
4. shock mounts - upper and lower
Torque values can be found in shop manual
Tera CR60R ARB
Jiles111

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the U joints? (and slip yoke)
LugNuts
Back end of the Transfer case. Sometimes the slipyoke smashes into the rear of the transfer case and crushes the clip that is suposta keep it from going any farther.
Rear brakes and shoes
Reap pinion seal sleave

I sometimes get a rattle on startup for a few seconds. Its my tcase linkage rattleing around. No rear rattle though.
http://bigcountryoff-road.com/
DanTheMountainMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure it comes from the rear? mine makes a clicking popping noise in first. its fron the t-case lever one of those rubber grommets wore out. I noticed this sound much more after removing my carpet.

edit: sorry didnt notice that was mentioned above
roadking1733

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am pretty sure it is coming from the rear and its only a 2 years old. With the lift I put on it, I am not sure if it would be covered under warranty. Kicker is, the Jeep dealership in Memphis charges $4,500 to add the lift and tires on a NEW Jeep. I bought the same lift, tires and rims and did it myself. So since I put it on and not them, I am thinking I might run into some issues with the service dept. I have a long weekend coming up and I will try ya`ll suggestions and see if that takes care of it.
PANAMACHRIS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2003 tj that I purchased 3 mths ago and I too have a popping/clicking noise coming from the rearend. It feels almost like the gears are popping but it only does it when I'm turning. It has the Dana 35 rear and I think it has the limited slip rearend. I know it spins both tires. This is my first Jeep so I don't know if it came from the factory like that. Any help would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: