Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 jeep always in 4wd?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mywifesjeep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: 98 jeep always in 4wd? Reply with quote

My 98 5.9l jeep is full time four wheel drive. Is there a transfer box from another year or just another jeep I could swap out that I could put this thing in 2 whel drive?
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah here, try to find a transfer case near your year though, well thats what ive been told.............. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html
mywifesjeep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok did some reading now a few questions before I jump in this project
1 if i found a 231 will it work?
2.What exactly are you swapping over when doing the 249-242 swap? One of the shafts and part of the compound gear sets?
3 If I found a 242 (wich I think I did for 150.00 canadian Very Happy ) it doesnot matter what it is out of?
Once again mine is a 1998 grand cher. 5.9 limited!
and I think I found a 242 out of a 89 cherokee(the smaller one). He didn't know the number on it but said you can shift it to four wheel on the fly?
Please help!
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to go part time 4x4?
mywifesjeep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishops Finger wrote:

Well Number 1 is gass milage
2 tires wear out to fast
3 I dont like the feel turning in a parking spot
4 We dont four wheel
5 I just bought a 25 foot house trailer and it will be hard on the jeep to back it in tight spots!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the 231 ...YOu may have to swap the input shaft and if you want ..The planetary set also..

You new case should be the same year as your old one ...Or at least newer than a 96.. Some of the parts changed after 96 and are not compatable...

89 will not work for you..... Unless the imput happens to be the same size.. Which you will not know til you pull your case...

So... Look for one the same year or very close... and get to work...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesjeep wrote:
Bishops Finger wrote:

Well Number 1 is gass milage
2 tires wear out to fast
3 I dont like the feel turning in a parking spot
4 We dont four wheel
5 I just bought a 25 foot house trailer and it will be hard on the jeep to back it in tight spots!

Having driven part time 4 wheel drive TJ's @ XJ diesels plus 4 wheel drive performance cars all I can say is
1 If you can' t afford the gas buy a Honda Civic
2 rotate them every servivc 7.5k miles?
3 Tough learn to ignore it
4 yup wait till your caught on snow/ice/mud etc with family/loved ones in it
5 wait till your manouvering your trailer in a slippy tight spot permanent 4 wheel drive is one less thing to think about Very Happy
mywifesjeep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy...........thanks alot for the help,I was about to buy one out of an 89 but now i wont

Bishops finger.........I just want the swap that is all! My wife complains about the steering and the gas, so i dont know if your married or not but I like to keep my wife happy Very Happy
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bishop,
1. Some of us HAVE to think about gas mileage.

2. If your VC is shot and you're locked into 4wd no amount of rotating your tires will spare them on pavement.

3. I had the same problem and I COULDN'T get used to the stares from people when I screeched into a parking spot and my driveway.(I tried)

4. With a part-time case I am the one who gets to use my GOOD judgment as to when to turn on the 4WD.I don't trust Mopar with my family's life.

5. Again, if it's slippery, I'll use my own judgement, but for the most part, I wouldn't want to be distracted by having to fight a steering wheel in the DRY tight spots.

What it really comes down to is: IT'S MY CHOICE!
I'M the one that has to deal with it. I had the exact same prob with my GC
I switched to the 242 and have not been happier. I use my truck mainly on the highway, and the difference in the power is absolutely noticeable when I am in 2WD. My wife doesn't drive my Jeep (which is fine with me), I did the switch for myself.
Plus which is cooler? A truck that you can say "I BUILT it the way I want it" or "It's totally stock, except for my cool rims man!"
Don't dis' if ain't yours!!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play nice, children. Wink
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Shocked
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cajzmere wrote:
Hey Bishop,
1. Some of us HAVE to think about gas mileage.

2. If your VC is shot and you're locked into 4wd no amount of rotating your tires will spare them on pavement.

3. I had the same problem and I COULDN'T get used to the stares from people when I screeched into a parking spot and my driveway.(I tried)

4. With a part-time case I am the one who gets to use my GOOD judgment as to when to turn on the 4WD.I don't trust Mopar with my family's life.

5. Again, if it's slippery, I'll use my own judgement, but for the most part, I wouldn't want to be distracted by having to fight a steering wheel in the DRY tight spots.

What it really comes down to is: IT'S MY CHOICE!
I'M the one that has to deal with it. I had the exact same prob with my GC
I switched to the 242 and have not been happier. I use my truck mainly on the highway, and the difference in the power is absolutely noticeable when I am in 2WD. My wife doesn't drive my Jeep (which is fine with me), I did the switch for myself.
Plus which is cooler? A truck that you can say "I BUILT it the way I want it" or "It's totally stock, except for my cool rims man!"
Don't dis' if ain't yours!!

Yeah some choice...

1 I live in England 5 a gallon......If you can't cope with fuel consumption piss off and buy a Honda Civic

2 Eh?

3 Think it explains it all skreetching into parking lots?

4 You'll choose when to go into 4 wheel drive?.....By the time you decide on a muddy/icy /slippy road and pull the lever you could be history plus you're wife/kidsfamily etc Why do WRC rally cars use permanent 4WD ?

5 Sure you're not in low range when parking up?

Go from full time 4x4 to part time.........no way Rolling Eyes
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an answer...

"Why do you want to go Part time?"

Because the 249 is a piece of poooooo... It has issues with the VC causing the front wheels to lock up in slow turns ... And more importantly it doesnt lock so you are only changing gear ratio by switching to 4 low and not changing charecteristics of the transfer case..

Plus.. I have a 231 and everybody wants to be cool like me... rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, I really DO want to be like Swampy! Didn't have a 231 handy , and the 242 suits ALL my purposes just fine. Hey Bishop, if I had to pay that kind of money for gas, I'd be jealous of the civic crowd too!
2. With bad VC every time you make a turn, your inside wheel "scrubs" on the pavement. Not bad on the dirt, but very tuff on tires on the road. (Went thru 2 full sets of tires in 2 years.

4. If it's even a little bit slippery, I put it in 4 full-time mode before I leave the driveway.Solves that! WRC cars are RACING cars, pushing their limits to the extreme, reaching for even an extra 1/2 second over their competitors, driving at 120MPH(200KMH) on horrible roads.( I used to live in a small place called Bamako, Mali, on the Paris/Dakar route. I am a huge fan!) Maybe we do have something in common Shocked .

5. I have never used 4LO when trailering or "parking up", even with 27ft. travel trailer. 5.2L with tow pkg. didn't need it.
I'm glad you enjoy your 249.
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who dosen't want to be like swampy? He is a god among 4 wheelers!
bowdown
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: