Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp guage and sensor....?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Temp guage and sensor....? Reply with quote

I have a 93 xj base model. The stock instrument cluster had no tachometer, and only idiot lights instead of guages. I went out to a wrecking yard and pulled a cluster out of a 91 Laredo, which had the factory tach., and all the guages i wanted. The plugs are the same and it went right in. Everything works except for the temp guage.
I looked it up, and the temp. sensors are different depending on if you have a light or guage. So i installed a sensor that's a guage type (according to Autozone's computer, which i usually dont trust), and the guage still doesn't work.
I then tried installing a universal, mechanical guage, and the probe was too long to fit in the t-stat housing, so now I HAVE to make the factory one work.
Should the guage work with the new coolant temp. sensor?? or is the wiring harness or plug somehow different on my 93 than it was on the 91?? Do you think I should try replacing the guage itself? thanks for any info.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: guage Reply with quote

You should test both the guage and sending unit. An ohm meter will show a change in resistance to ground on the sending unit. Most units drop resistance as the vehicle warms up. If it works fine, you should see the same drop at the cluster. If that shows good then maybe a resister (1000ohms I'd guess) to ground on the guage with voltage on the other side should show change on the guage. Did you get a sending unit for the year of the cluster?

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Pingpong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get a brass or pipe bung in the same thread coung, and screw that into the housing, then add a fitting to accept the mechanicla gauge.

Patrick

http://independent4x.com/generic67.html
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEah, i made sure to get to the same year sending unit. I also tried looking to see it had another separate sender for just the guage, but i guess it works off the one coolant temp sensor on the t-stat housing. I'll try the resistane test, but i dont know what else to do. It should work with a new sensor and new guage. thanks
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i an haveing the same problem.... i swaped out the cluster for guages an everything works except for the temp... i even switched that temp gauge for another one ..... no luck then i even switched the sensor an still no luck..... i was wondering if there is air up inside the head where the sensor is that could cause the sensor not to redgester properly .... anyone have that problem befor? Shocked
badger

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are replacing the wrong sensor.the one on the front housing is just for fan engagement and the computer.its needed if you replace that one with a mechanical you'll get all sorts of problems

gauge swap 91~96

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea man but my fan does not circulate on an off either thats y i replaced it an found out today after i retested it ( 2 mins) it was bad ..... an my gauge still doesent work ..... all the leads are good no broken wires an the relay is good an if i unplug the sensor ( front houseing) it kicks on an stays on till it is plugged back in.... ??? possible to affect the guage in anyway??? an the fan is ok.... smash coffee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: