Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchasing the 2" OME HD lift...need some advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Purchasing the 2" OME HD lift...need some advice... Reply with quote

So far the link provided by Drack seems to be the best priced ($650.00) for the sytem. Now while I'm putting this on, what other components should I be looking at upgrading?

Seeing how I'll already be under there, seems to make sense to me, not to put on OEM parts if I can be upgrading. Discos? Which ones? I kinda like the JKS model, but am unsure, what aren't I thinking of here, what else should I be upgrading?

I'm thinking about getting the Addco sway bars, but have heard these won't work with discos...is this a fact?

Will brake line length be an issue? I have a 1" BL on her already...

Thanks for any opinions you may give!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKS disco's and an adjustable front track bar and you'll be set. No real need to mess with the control arms at that height. Brake lines and all that jazz will be fine too. Not sure about the aftermarket swaybar, but I suspect that one isn't gonna play well with disco's if it's the one I'm thinking of. I replaced my Tera disco's with a set of JKS ones after the Tera's bent....yep, bent. Much stonger unit in my opinion.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
JKS disco's and an adjustable front track bar and you'll be set. No real need to mess with the control arms at that height. Brake lines and all that jazz will be fine too. Not sure about the aftermarket swaybar, but I suspect that one isn't gonna play well with disco's if it's the one I'm thinking of. I replaced my Tera disco's with a set of JKS ones after the Tera's bent....yep, bent. Much stonger unit in my opinion.

Thanks! Can you recommend a adj. front track bar?

Honestly, I really want the Addco sway bars...90-95% of my Jeep driving is daily driving (for now) and on highways here on the East Coast in the Baltimore/DC area (I95/495 mostly), if you know anything about the driving habits around here...you know I need STABLE/RESPONSIVE emergency steering more often than I like...I know this OME kit will introduce some 'roll' in the body with quick turns, I want to diminish that as much as possible.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a handling standpoint - maybe consider a rear adjustable trackbar and rear swaybar link extensions as well.

lifting your jeep throws the rear axle off as well as the front - just without the nasty side effects such as death wobble. a trackbar bracket that is included in most lift kits will help recenter it...but the useable flex you just bought with the lift will be wasted when the factory trackbar bushing binds within the bracket. pick up an RE adjustable trackbar that replaces the bushing with a high-misalignment heim - and don't use the relocation bracket with it unless well over 4" lift. many make that mistake and find that it will push the axle over too far.

rear swaybar extensions. any lift will immediately start angling the swaybar ends upwards in the rear. this kills its ability to flex like it's supposed too. putting on links that are extending equally as far as your lift raises your jeep will keep that swaybar working like it's supposed too. on a tj, having a rear swaybar that works properly will cut the front swaybar's work in half!
chris

**RE makes great front and rear adjustable trackbars for you jeep - and bob has great prices shipped for all three of them.**
RE1600 - front TB
RE1620 - rear TB
RE1145 - rear links
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
from a handling standpoint - maybe consider a rear adjustable trackbar and rear swaybar link extensions as well.

lifting your jeep throws the rear axle off as well as the front - just without the nasty side effects such as death wobble. a trackbar bracket that is included in most lift kits will help recenter it...but the useable flex you just bought with the lift will be wasted when the factory trackbar bushing binds within the bracket. pick up an RE adjustable trackbar that replaces the bushing with a high-misalignment heim - and don't use the relocation bracket with it unless well over 4" lift. many make that mistake and find that it will push the axle over too far.

rear swaybar extensions. any lift will immediately start angling the swaybar ends upwards in the rear. this kills its ability to flex like it's supposed too. putting on links that are extending equally as far as your lift raises your jeep will keep that swaybar working like it's supposed too. on a tj, having a rear swaybar that works properly will cut the front swaybar's work in half!
chris

**RE makes great front and rear adjustable trackbars for you jeep - and bob has great prices shipped for all three of them.**
RE1600 - front TB
RE1620 - rear TB
RE1145 - rear links

Great stuff Chris! Got a link for Bob's site?

Thanks Smile

Amsoil Dealer
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's a phone call/email kind of guy.

Bob Supplee
Supplee 4WD Enterprises
(405) 799-8977
supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net

if you call him 9 out of 10 he answers the phone. tell him what you are looking to get and he'll call back in a bit with prices. all his prices include freight as well. lately i've been emailing with him instead so he can answer at his leisure. he knows i'm over here still so just tell him that chris in the desert sent ya Smile
chris

i've only once found an item cheaper than through him - and i still got it from him to keep my business loyal. sometimes that's more important than $5.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
he's a phone call/email kind of guy.

Bob Supplee
Supplee 4WD Enterprises
(405) 799-8977
supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net

if you call him 9 out of 10 he answers the phone. tell him what you are looking to get and he'll call back in a bit with prices. all his prices include freight as well. lately i've been emailing with him instead so he can answer at his leisure. he knows i'm over here still so just tell him that chris in the desert sent ya Smile
chris

i've only once found an item cheaper than through him - and i still got it from him to keep my business loyal. sometimes that's more important than $5.

I'd rather see it on a website, but I sent him an email, seeing how you were kind enough to include part numbers for my use Smile

Hopefully he can match/beat the prices I've already found for EVERYTHING...I'd rather get it ALL from one shop...vice purchasing it in batches from 3 different stores.

Thanks for the help!

Amsoil Dealer
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look at the stuff on RE's site....nothing different about it. his prices are on par with most other people....except his shipping is included. that's where the savings are. his biggest kudos is to customer service. i popped one of my RE monotubes shocks after about 9 months of service - he sent me a new one without even asking any details about it....said to just ship the old one back whenever i had a chance (warranty item). also, a friend ordered a tera sye through him - bob had it dropshipped from tera directly. my buddy opened up the box halfway into the sye install and found that the small bag of rings and the speedo sleeve were missing - a quick call to bob had them same-day aired to my garage to finish the install - free of charge! another time i was placing a pretty good sized order with him and asked about rear shock relocaters....when the package arrived he had popped open one of the boxes and slipped a set of the relocaters in free of charge. he just wants to keep the customer happy.
chris
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
just look at the stuff on RE's site....nothing different about it. his prices are on par with most other people....except his shipping is included. that's where the savings are. his biggest kudos is to customer service. i popped one of my RE monotubes shocks after about 9 months of service - he sent me a new one without even asking any details about it....said to just ship the old one back whenever i had a chance (warranty item). also, a friend ordered a tera sye through him - bob had it dropshipped from tera directly. my buddy opened up the box halfway into the sye install and found that the small bag of rings and the speedo sleeve were missing - a quick call to bob had them same-day aired to my garage to finish the install - free of charge! another time i was placing a pretty good sized order with him and asked about rear shock relocaters....when the package arrived he had popped open one of the boxes and slipped a set of the relocaters in free of charge. he just wants to keep the customer happy.
chris

Thats sweet right there...I'll pay extra for excellent service...with any luck I'll have my new kit and all the trimings by the end of the month Smile

Amsoil Dealer
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have all the components. Still waiting on the sway bars, but no biggie.

Now I've been doing some reading and noticed that most people with this lift kit are using 2" bump stops in the front and 1.5" bump stops in the rear, is this something I should be purchasing, before tackling this install?

Thanks fellas.

Amsoil Dealer
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've finally started putting stuff on (finally have some nice weather). Now I already have my front/rear Addco anti-sway bars on and was attempting to put the rear end links on (without putting on the OME lift) and the OEM end link bolts are TOO large to fit the RE end links, should have I gotten new bolts with the end links?

Is there any problems with articulating the rear sway bar down about an 1" by using the longer rear end links before putting on the OME lift?

I plan on putting the OME lift this Sunday...if my buddy shows up (he's a suspension guru and I'll feel better doing it with his counsel).

Thanks!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: