Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

california rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stgcowan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: california rules Reply with quote

I am getting ready to move to San Diego and I have heard that california has a ton of rules for off road vehicles. Can anyone give me a website that states these rules. Some that I have heard of are bumper heigth, seat belt laws, and so on. I have a 79 CJ5 that I am building from the frame up and I am also wondering about emissions rules. Any help would be appreciated
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's operated strictly offroad (i.e. you haul it on a trailer to the spot you're taking it on) this
is what you need. Other than that, this is probably most applicable if it'll be street legal:
Quote:
24008.5. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle with a frame height or body floor height greater than specified in subdivisions (b) and (c).

(b) The maximum frame height is as follows:

Vehicle Type Frame Height
(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars ......................23 inches
(2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:
Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR ........ 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR ..... 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR .... 31 inches
(c) The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame.
(d) The following definitions govern the construction of this section:
(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.
(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.
(3) "GVWR" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

Quote:
24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.

(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.

(3) Fog lamps.

(4) Warning lamps.

(5) Spot lamps.

(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.

Quote:
24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

There's no bumper height laws in CA and the smog laws just changed so everything built after 1976 needs to be tested to be registered for the street. If you go to this site and scroll down to the equipment section, you can sort your way through what's required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: