Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

87 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) engine turns over but will not start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k2gwn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: 87 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) engine turns over but will not start Reply with quote

The engine on my 87' Jeep Wrangler (YJ) 4.2 liter 6 cyl 4x4 turns over but will not start. I have replaced the ignition coil, spark plug wires and distributor rotor in an attempt to fix the problem.

Can anyone tell me what part has to be replaced to make the engine start? It was working fine up until the point where it wouldn't start anymore. Could it be the ignition control module (ICM)?
samahi72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer to start with the basics. An engine needs spark, fuel and compression to start. I noticed you replaced some electrical stuff, are you sure you are getting spark to the plugs? Pull one of the plugs and have someone turn over the engine and watch to see if a spark jumps the gap on the spark plug. If you aren't getting any spark then you have to consider the coil or your ICM. While that plug is out, you might just want to check to see if you have compression. If you have a compression guage use it just to see what the reading is. If that is okay, reinstall the spark plug and move to step three which is testing for fuel. Pour a little fuel or spray some starter fluid in the carb. See if it will start. Depending on the amount of fuel you put into the carb, it may just spit and fire a little bit, which is a good thing. If it does that, then you probably have either a bad fuel pump or a clogged filter. Hope this helps somewhat.
k2gwn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I am getting fuel as I can flood the carb. I have replaced the coil and get no spark off either a plug wire or the main off the coil. I went out and got an ICM last night and will install that today. I am confident that it will fix my problem.
k2gwn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the replacement ICM and I am now back on the road.
FYI: The last time this happened in 2000, a local dealer charged me $500 to fix. This time it cost me $80 for the part (Canada) and my time and the generous help from forum members.
Thanks again!
shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it happens again try swapping to a GM straight 6 HEI distributor with an AMC v-8 gear. It may cost $80 to $100 but you'll never worry about the ICM again. Most people use this write up. http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm

I have a freind who just did this and loves the new ignition. He swears it runs smoother and fires faster than it ever did. Even claims a seat of the pants change in power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: