Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urethane Bushings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelby38

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Urethane Bushings Reply with quote

Has anyone installed Prothane control arm bushing set? I order the set but it did not come with a diagram of how to assemble the new bushings. It looks like there are 3 or 4 parts that replace the stock bushing but it seem very lose compared to the original bushing fit.

I called their tech support and they said they would email the instructions but they never followed through and sent them.
shelby38

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Instruction from Prothane Reply with quote

I receive the instruction from Prothane. There are extra parts in the kit that you do not use depending on the year. I have to remove the OEM rubber from inside the metal shell and reuse it for the new bushing.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I thinking of placing it on my drill press and drilling a hole through the rubber to loosen it up enough to slide it out.
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Torch it! Reply with quote

Get a gas burning torch and light that bitch up! Heat it up, till the bushing starts to melt, use a screwdriver, or something to push it through. You might want to put the control arm in a vise. clean out the inside of the casing, lube up the new bushing and slip her in. prolly not going to be that easy though. im not sure of the diameter of the bushing opening, but you might be able to put a screwdriver right through after being heated up and hammer on the screwdriver to drive the bushing out. g'luck.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Instruction from Prothane Reply with quote

shelby38 wrote:
I receive the instruction from Prothane. There are extra parts in the kit that you do not use depending on the year. I have to remove the OEM rubber from inside the metal shell and reuse it for the new bushing.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I thinking of placing it on my drill press and drilling a hole through the rubber to loosen it up enough to slide it out.

Return them and get your money back. There are hundreds of stock control arms in like new condition removed from Jeeps when installing lifts. Post up some WTB listings on various forums and get yourself a new set. Much easier without the work of replacing bushings and removing the rubber from the sleever to install the urethane bushing.

In addition, urethane doesn't flex or deflect like rubber. You'll be in for a nice surprise the first bump you hit and the first time you take that beast offroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: