Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep 8.25 posi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Jeep 8.25 posi Reply with quote

I have been looking to make my 2wd cherokee posi (limited slip) whatever how many spline does my rear have? I was told it's a 8.25 which I thought only came in 4x4's but not sure. It's a 1993 model and wonder where I could buy this unit. Thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs for the 91-96 8.25 axle are: 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube

The specs for the 90-01 D35 axle are: 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube

Now, There might be a tag on the diff cover to help you identify it, but not always. The easiest way to tell is to look at the bottom of the axle housing. Here's pic. The 8.25 is on the left, D35 is on the right. The key giveaway is the square lip on the bottom of the 8.25 axle housing. You can tell the difference at a glance.

As far as where to get an LSD for an 8.25, I've never looked into buying one, so I have no idea. You could try some of the online vendors that sell lockers...I would first try doing a google search on it though.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out 4Wheel Parts Warehouse. They have several options of lockers and such for the 8.25".

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: posi-traction Reply with quote

Another thing I was wondering is if I decide to add a three inch lift, will the posi help it keep good exceleration or should I not worry about it. I hear alot of things about losing power when lifting but I just want it for looks and want to keep my 4.0 power....thanks
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense, but i think you need to go to google and do some searching on "limited slip", "posi", "spool", "locker", "traction devices" and other words you may have heard. and read as much on 4x4 forums as you can. it sounds like you've heard to many gearheads talking about stuff they have in their vehicles, but you don't know what they do.

now i'm not trying to insult you, but it sounds like you need to learn the basics before thinking about changing things on your jeep.

now about this part:
Quote:
will the posi help it keep good exceleration or should I not worry about it

"posi" is sort of a improper used slang term for chevy limited slip. but regardless, it still is a "traction device". and that's exactly what it does. it handles "traction". that's why you have to do some research and learn some basics on what traction devices do. there are lots of different types out there, and they all do something slightly different and all have their pros and cons for different situations.

traction devices will not affect your acceleration on the street. that has to do with gearing. it's not the lift that hurts your acceleration, it's the bigger tires that people put on once they get a lift. to turn the bigger tires, you have to re-gear your differentials. so go and do some searing on "axle regearing".
________
Toyota Sienna history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: re posi? Reply with quote

My jeep is a daily driver not a 4x4 wheeler. I just like the lifted look and don't want to sacrafice the acceleration or pick up what ever you want to call it. My friend lifted his wrangler and he said somthing about regearing. I know the tires size effects the ride which I failed to mention I wanted a 3'' lift with 32'' tires, no flares....strickly 4 looks. How should I approach the equation if needed to maintain good performance?????????
jeephater
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you sell your jeep and get a miata, you woman tool
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeephater wrote:
why dont you sell your jeep and get a miata, you woman tool

Why don't you do the world a favor and kill yourself, retard? troll
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: LOSER Reply with quote

I bet he wouldn't say that to my face.!!!!!!! ....Troll killer
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep hater probably ownes a kia, what a looser. I should have mentioned my 351c bronco and my 5.0 stang. My xj is my gas saver...
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out these calculators. the first one should help you out the most.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

http://www.dfw-tx4wd.org/Tech-Dept/Tech-Dept/gears.html

http://www.jawsgear.net/store/catalog/calc.php
________
Toyota Avanza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: