Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rustys Lift Kits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sublime600

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Rustys Lift Kits Reply with quote

Im trying to get a good 3 inch lift kit. Ive already been told to stay away from rough country and the other ebay ones. But Ive found one which Ive heard someone having. Rustys Offroad Products? I was looking at the 3 inch Spring Pack Kit. Is this a good kit for 418? Also Im a newbie at this, so what else would i need to complete this, It would be going on a 01 cherokee limited. I have 1 more question i hear SYE, slip yoke eliminator, what does this do? Thanks
shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you order plenty in advance of big things like Easter Jeep Safari. Rusty's takes off about two weeks for ejs. In the big lifts you might have some steering wobble. If you keep things down under 6" you should be fine. A shop I frequent has many rusty's rigs in it. The most notable claims to know Rusty personally. He had a custom rusty's 10" on his XJ.

Many people have told me to only talk to rusty when calling, especially when it comes to shipping or technical issues.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with rough country? I have a friend who is running rough country in his cherokee and he loves it hasnt had any problems that Im aware of. Doesnt appear to be sagging and hes had it on for at least 2 years

Im running tuff country which is pretty much same thing, i havent noticed any sagging or problems either
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other problems, both Rough Country and Rusty's kits had problems with sagging springs a few years ago. My understanding is that both companies have fixed those problems. Still, lots of people stay away from them based on these reputations...I know I wouldn't buy from either one.

An SYE replaces the slip yoke on the transfer case with a flange. This replaces the ujoint (at the transfer case), usually with a double cardian joint, and helps eliminate driveline vibrations caused by the increased angles of the driveshaft.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sublime600

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the difference between these types of lifts,
Standard Flex, Value Flex, Rock Ready, Single Flex, and Double Flex, I am looking at Skyjacker now, I was looking for ProComp but cannot find a website that sells the lift kit for a XJ does anyone know where i can find it?
sublime600

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think im going to get the Rubicon Express ive read good things on this forum about them. Im getting the 3.5 superflex kit with the Leaf Pack. Im trying to avoid the sagging issue. But i would still like to find the price of the Procomp kit
Brandon3454

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Skyjacker Shackle and block kit that gives it a 2 1/2 to 3 inch lift, the shackles were nearly impossible to put on my 94 Jeep Cherokee so I traded the shackles in for the Add a Leaf. It was easy and looks great now.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procomp makes a 3" lift for about $500, but it is an aal and not a leaf pack. Trust me you do not want an aal. You wont be happy with it for long.
dadstoys2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a BDS lift 3" it is an add a leaf with new springs in the front. I am pretty happy with the ride and the price too. It was right around $300.
I plan in the future to swap out the rear springs with a set of 6" packs.
I have had the BDS kit on for over 4yrs and there is no sagging, and I do abuse my jeep Smile
Good luck with what ever you decide.
~Rich
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Rusty's Lift Reply with quote

Hey, what do you want to spend? I just installed the 3in with aal on my '91 with 300k miles and it wasn't easy but for less than 250 WITH shocks! Where do you go wrong? As far as sag I read up on that issue as well as spoke to Rusty and he says back then they rated the springs around 150lbs, now using 180 and up but that the people that were complaining were putting on extra weight i.e. tire carriers, hitch, racks, and just loading the back-end, thus causing sag. But I'll tell you this I probably got like 3.5 up front and 1.5 out back and with the new gas shocks included, it rides like a Caddy.....well almost haha. Now I don't tow with it anymore and don't load the back except for camping gear but I actually flexed it pretty good at Tellico last weekend. So if you wanna go cheap and good quality if the vehicle ain't worth much I'd say Rusty's or the tuff or rough countries but they are more. If the sky is the limit and you just want looks and functionality, maybe the skyjacker or others over 600 bucks will work, dunno. Personally ain't got that kinda cash lying around and I wanted an everyday driver not a looker, so good luck! Very Happy
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing on that slip-yoke thing, I believe they only recommend that on lifts 4.5" and up. I had the transfercase drop put in on mine it's like 1in. and only have a slight shimmy around 75 but my tires could be out of balance or there's still mud and snow caked on from my trip to Tellico last weekend...haha. But if it's the alignment I must have it pretty close to straight because I can live with the shimmy, it's nothing major and I don't run EXACTLY 75mph anywho. But seriously the extra 3 in I got from this lift did wonders to my jeep's offroad abilities. Of course I still have my swaybars attached cause it's a street driver but some of these guys disconnect them to allow for more flex, your choice. I kinda wish I spent the extra 75 bucks or so and went with the spring packs, not that mine is sagging or I don't love it just for longevity and being new I could have went up from there...i.e. blocks or shackles. But I'm about at the limit on mine. Good luck!
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch it with the AALs and Skyjacker. My leaf packs were soft to begin with, but after the AALs went on they only lasted another 6-7 mos. or so before almost bottoming out (I had gotten them with the Skyjacker 3" lift kit). I replaced them with 3" Superlift flex packs, and they work much better. Also consider getting DPG Bumpstop plates. They'll keep you from bottoming out the packs and reduce the normal wear-and-tear from trailing.

jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the 3" superflex packs from? i cant find that brand anywhere...

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to be called Black Diamond, but Superlift bought them out. Here is their webpage (http://www.superlift.com/), but it looks like not all of their products are up yet. Google "Superlift" or "Black Diamond" leaf pack to find a dealer. I got mine ordered locally, so they're pretty easy to get. Wink

jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k thanks, what about rough country full leaf packs? are they decent?

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: