Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control arm bushings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PA_SnowDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Control arm bushings Reply with quote

Looking at replacing the control arm bushings on my 99 TJ with new poly.

Anybody do this? Just interested how much of pain it was.
Bigger jobs don't bother me, just need to properly budget the time.

Any special, or recommended tools out of the normal?
If you were giving it a difficulty rating where a complete lift kit was a 10, and an oil change was a 1.

where would you rate it?

99 TJ 4.0 5spd
03 SkiDoo Rev 600 HO X
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not realy a hard job, but it is time consuming.

Also do you know what to expect from poly bushings? They firm up the steering but can be another source of road noise. That and you transfer alot of the little bumps, pebbles, potholes threw the steering that the OEM rubber would absorb. Im not saying this a bad thing, Ive toyed with the idea myself many times, but there is a trade off with poly. With poly you will be able to "feel" the rig better.

Anywho, enough lecture rofl

First thing to do, is put the new poly bushings into the freezer the night before the install. Ill get to why you do this later.

The easiest way to get the old ones out if there stubborn is with a torch. That is is they wont come out easily by pressing them out. Dont put the fire directly to the rubber. Heat the tube that the bushing is in.

ok , another lecture! isnt this fun Mr. Green
Should you choose to use the torch method, avoid breathing the smoke that the cooking rubber creates...its not good. Also dont do this inside for obvious reasons.

When the bushing comes out, it comes out like its shot out of cannon. This is true, its what happens. Ive done this numerous times. So you dont want to stand so that the OEM bushing can hit you or any onlookers.

So if you choose this method....BE CAREFUL!

Once the old bushing is out, clean up the bushing tubes. The new bushings should have come with a small packet of grease to help with the instalation. If you think that the small packet isnt enough, Dielectric grease works great on poly bushings also, and will not harm them like most other petroleum based greases will.

Now the reason you want to freeze the poly bushings is so that they will shrink slightly to aid thier instalation. Do 1 arm at a time so that the bushings stay frozen untill just moments before instalation.

Use the torch again to WARM up the tubes. WARM, not hot is key. This will expand the tubes a little. You want them warm enough to be uncomfortable to touch, but not so hot that they will burn you or melt the new bushings....remember! WARM!

Get the poly bushings and get a quick coating of the grease and they should go in with some small amount of effort. I keep a small peice of a board handy, and lay that on the bushing and tap that with a hammer. That way your softening the blow a bit and not tearing the hell out of the bushing.

I hope this helps.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave the stock bushings alone. When they wear out, get someone's new takeoff control arms after they've installed a lift.
PA_SnowDog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up.

Thanks for the advice, and I do like the sounds of scavenging arms from a new lift install.

99 TJ 4.0 5spd
03 SkiDoo Rev 600 HO X
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: