Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross Country Trip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBigGuns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Cross Country Trip Reply with quote

I'm picking up my new TJ today and I need some tips. My soon to be wife and I are taking a trip around the country this summer for our honeymoon. Buffalo to The Grand Canyon to Vegas to Denver then back home. Any advise on what I might need? This is my first jeep but not my first cross country trip. Would like an interior rack and a new stereo but other than that I don't know if I should invest in anything else. Any help would be great. Also if anyone has any suggestions on what to see that would be great too.Thanks
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cross-country trip in a TJ, I'd suggest (if your Jeep has the towing package) to get one of those luggage baskets that slides into your receiver and give you more cargo room.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you got the hardtop, if not, invest in ear plugs. After I drove my first jeep to TX, I was deaf for about a week. Mr. Green

Depends which way you're going, but if you pass through Amarillo, stop at the Bix Texan. You can't miss the place (or the billboards for hundreds of miles in either direction.) If you're feeling daring, the 72 ounce steak is free if you can eat it within an hour.

There are all kinds of things to see in NM. If you have enough time, hit Chaco Canyon. Santa Fe and Taos have a lot of things to do and see (galleries, Rio Grande Gorge, Bandelier National Monument, Taos Pueblo, etc.)

Again, if you have enough time, an interesting drive is to leave Chaco Canyon to the north, head through Farmington and Shiprock, take highway 666 (it's got a new name 471 or something like that because all the signs kept getting ripped off) and head west to Canyon de Chelly. From there, you can either go northwest to Kayenta, Monument Valley and Mexican Hat or sorta due west towards the Grand Canyon. An alternative: when you leave Kayenta, you can drive through Tuba City and then enter the Grand Canyon from the east side.

Those are just a few ideas....
JohnnyBigGuns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope no hardtop but hopefully we should have the top down for the most part. Besides the noise really doesn't bother me that much. I'm used to riding Harley's so noise isn't a problem. We've actually decided to hang out around the Sedona area for a couple of days before heading to Vegas. Then we might stay in/around Vegas for a couple extra day and "basecamp" there before heading to Denver.
I have to say I've only driven 124miles in my Jeep and I'm hooked already. I spent $300 on rocker bars this morning. I thought bikes and snowmobiles were expensive. This is going to be fun Very Happy
Tom Waits (1983): "When my wife heard that for the first time [Town With No Cheer ]she said: "Oh gee, you must have loved her very much." So I said: "Wait a minute. This is not a love song. This is about a guy who can't get a drink!"
JohnnyBigGuns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked into Chaco, I think we may have to add that to the list. We have 16 days to work with so we shouldn't have a problem checking it out. Thanks for the advice.

We're taking our first outing this weekend so I'll get to see just how much I can load into this thing.
Tom Waits (1983): "When my wife heard that for the first time [Town With No Cheer ]she said: "Oh gee, you must have loved her very much." So I said: "Wait a minute. This is not a love song. This is about a guy who can't get a drink!"
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait....the Jeep will hit you hard Just Empty Every Pocket Mr. Green

You'll soon be broke like the rest of us Jeepers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBigGuns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we did pretty well packing for a long weekend trip but cross country??? Definatly going to need a rack for that.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pretty basic campground at Chaco - if you stay there, you need to bring everything, food, water, etc. But I highly recommend it because the stars are like nothing you'll ever see.

If you're looking to stay somewhere nice after that, La Posada in Winslow, AZ is a very nice place. Not much to Winslow other than that however.
JohnnyBigGuns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks a lot for all the info.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's just you and your wife going on the trip you should just take your back seat out and you will have plenty of room!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: