Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help choosing a suspension

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombatMatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Need help choosing a suspension Reply with quote

Hello to all, my name is Matt and this is my first post to this site. I am a soldier currently serving in Iraq, i also just bought a 2001 TJ that i cant wait to drive when i get home. Just one problem, this is the first jeep ive bought and i REALLY want to put a suspension upgrade into it when i get back. Could anyone reccomend suspension upgrades that i should consider??? Im pretty much a novice in the area of what to buy, but installation is really not problem.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want to decide on how high do you want to be and how large of a tire do you plan to run.

IMHO alot depends on the above before choosing a brand name lift. In the 2-4" range to clear 33's I would say OME. OME dosent go real tall with thier coils and the ride is awsome. Taller than that and your looking into a major kit with lots of parts and peices to correct steering, wheelbase etc.

Any idea how big you want to go yet? And will this be a heavily used offroader or mainly a DD?

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
CombatMatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking in the 2-4" range. Mostly it'll be a DD, with wheeling on the weekends and trips home on leave. I read alot of posts form knight fire which answered alot of my ?'s and is leaning me toward the OME setup but what i need to know is if the OME kit changes any of the steering / drivetrain geom. can i get away with the HD OME kit and forego additional suspension mods untill they're necessary?
Get Bent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Man Emu kit doesn't appreciably change the steering/drivetrain geometry...but every Jeep is different, and every one will react differently to the same lift. Just realize that there really aren't a lot of parts in the OME kit; I mean, it's just a 2" lift comprised mainly of springs and shocks that doesn't replace any of the suspension locating links at all.

Now just like any lift kit install, you're going to want to adjust the toe afterwords; easy enough to do-it-yourself, or just take it to get an alignment. And if you do happen to get some driveline vibes (possible, but not necessarily a given) then a cheap "quick" fix is a t-case drop; a better option might be a 1" body lift + 1" motor mount lift; the best option of course is an SYE, but that's a lot more work and a LOT more money by the time you're done with it and all the things you need to make it work (cv-style driveshaft, upper adjustable control arms, trackbar bracket, etc).

Personally, I'd only recommend the OME lift if you're wanting to stick with 31" or 32" tires. If you plan on going beyond that (and even tho you think you won't, we all do) you might consider a different kit, something in the 3" range. I personally just think the on-road quality isn't worth the price they charge for that kit (but that's because I don't really drive my Jeep on the road).

Now having said all that....I've actually got an OME kit sitting on my garage floor right now that I'm supposed to help a buddy install on his TJ in the near future. LOL!

Mr. Green
shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go all out and get a long-arm kit. Most are 4.5" and up. Start at 4.5". This will clear 33's, you'll also get a better than factory ride. But what do I know I'm just a YJ owner.
Get Bent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've got a friend that bought the 4.5" RE longarm kit, and then had them swap out the 4.5" springs for 3.5" springs, just to keep the COG relatively low.

It's an expensive thing to do, but it's the END of your suspension work. LOL!

I, of course, stupidly have put aronud 3 different suspensions on my Jeep over the years (4 if you count the initial coil spacers). I could have bought a long arm kit by this point. rofl
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the forum and most certainly thank you for your service for our country!

Not being any kind of expert, but I'd be curious on your TJ some specifics on what you currently have. Specifically motor, tranny, axles, etc. This can matter as to how high you'll want to go and tire sizes that are best with your current drive train. A lift and big tires are only part of the equation IMO.

I have the Rubicon Express 4.5" Superflex (short arm) kit, Old Man Emu shocks running 33's. It drives great...better than it did stock IMO. But with this kit a slip yoke elliminator is needed. However, with the 3.5" kit, most can get by with just a motor mount lift and slight transfer case drop.

OME, RE, and a couple others will give you the lift you are after with decent road manners. If for instance you have a 4cyl / automatic rig, we all know that running 33's with stock gears is likely to suck on the road. Therefor we might suggesting only going maybe 2.5" OME with 31's or 32's or something.

Hope that helps a little more.

Wink
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been thinking of a 3in lift kit. the question I have. With vibration, ground clearance and geometry all being considered, will a slip yoke eliminate having to drop the t-case? To me dropping the t-case defeats the purpose of lifting your rig in the first place, but I also realize that geometry is everything in suspension.
Can I do yoke without the t-case drop or do I have to do both?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SYE should take care of any vibrations and help correct angles. I recommend the JB Conversions SuperShorty now for an extra 3 1/8" in length of driveshaft versus the other HD SYEs.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my OME lift. Actually I have a OME lift+. I used the JKS ACOS spacers and clear 33's no problem. Ive seen alot of TJ's lifted with the OME/Tera spacer combo and clear 33's without issues. This includes disco'd offroading too.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OME lift with a 1" body lift and 1" MML and I clear 33's with no problems at all.

My Morning Jacket
tanner2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE 4-1/2" Long Arm. I have the short arm now. Just wished I saved a little more cash and got the LA.

Tanner3
greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE long arm is definitely a rock solid kit, but very expensive. $2000+ for the kit then all the little things to go along to make it usable. A great alternative would be the RE 3.5" or 4.5" superflex kits. Decent price, and great performance! OME is also a great kit system because of their springs and how they ride. Either one is a good choice with positives and negatives with each respective kit. Either way enjoy the process turning your jeep into a "Moneypit!"

Hoooahhh

Will
tanner2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbean wrote:
RE long arm is definitely a rock solid kit, but very expensive. $2000+ for the kit then all the little things to go along to make it usable. A great alternative would be the RE 3.5" or 4.5" superflex kits. Decent price, and great performance! OME is also a great kit system because of their springs and how they ride. Either one is a good choice with positives and negatives with each respective kit. Either way enjoy the process turning your jeep into a "Moneypit!"

Hoooahhh

Will

$1100 from Jason at 4x4groupbuy.com. That included 4-1/2" superflex kit with shocks, sye and driveshaft from Tom. Later I had to buy shock relocation brackets since I bent and torn the heck out of the pass. side rear perch but on those you can do a variety of options. I just wanted a cleaner look than cutting the rear off of the spring perches. You'll either cut the spring perches or relocate the rear shocks. The front coil springs I ended up sticking a 2" flat plate across the bottom in order to keep the spring from shooting out. Your options my vary. Good Luck with what you decide to do.

$2400 for the RE LA kit but ask Jason for a price. $1500 for the Full Traction 4" kit. It's a good kit but their customer service is the pits.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Tanner3
campingmikey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the 'best' 2" lift is? By best, I mean one that comes the closest to retaining stock ride comfort. I don't plan on doing too much hard core off roading, and I just want something that'll clear 31's. I know 31's can be put on with stock height, but I think it'll look better with a little lift. I see a lot on here about OME's, so I'm kinda leaning in that direction. Also could use some info about other mods necessary to make it go down the road somewhat straight. I've got an 05 TJ w/ 6cyl, 6sp, Dana 44 rear. Thanks for any help.
-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: