Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a good and cheap OBA setup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: a good and cheap OBA setup Reply with quote

I am now starting to air down (only 19) wheen I go out, but when I go on trail rides without a place to air back up and its up to me, its kinda iffy. Does anyone know of a good and I should say inexpesnive on board air setup. I looked into the power tank but I have heard to many horror stories of tires exploding, not sure if its fact or fiction. The single tank Idea is nice, but also not being limited to what you have in the tank I see as another good option. Just looking for suggestions.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is always the cheap cig. lighter version at wal-Mart...but I have also heard of some belt driven OBA devices. http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/ is a good place to start. They sell everything you would need to install a belt driven system.

Or you can go to the Junkyard, then pick and choose a/c compressors, and just buy small parts from said website.

I've read somewhere that you can get a good OBA system that's belt driven, and can power air tools for about $450 - $500.

There are also a lot of individuals who made a write-up of OBA systems and made them into web pages. Just Google "On-Board Air" for a bunch of good places to start your search.

HTH,
Stevo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a/c and havent gotten around to charging the system or finding out if the reason i dont have a/c is because of a leak or not so i have just done without it for 2 years...i too may concider the a/c compressor on board air....so if you get around to it before i do please do a write up
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to hijack this thread or anything but:

If you do go the a/c route as a base for the abo fox, check out the cumulator sensor on the a/c. Thats why my a/c didn't work. Its right on top of this big bulbus bottle thing on the engine.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gets hot here so I would like to keep the AC, so I think its down to CO2 and a good pump. I have an old one that we used for bike tires, but even after a few minutes of filling bike tires it got hot and shut down.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was talking about a whole separate compressor.

So, there would be two compressors in the engine-bay.

I also don't think you want to be sitting around filling a tire at 1 PSI/min or less. So a bike compressor might be out of the question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo give him the link you showed me with that guy an his xj...he could easily apply that to a grand, actually it would be easier since its more interior room
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss all the stories of tires blowing up when I put together my CO2 system? Psst...it's fiction. You could blow up a tire with regular air if you put too much pressure in the tire.

Seriously, go to your local beer distributor and ask about 10lb CO2 cylinders. Get some quotes. I got lucky and my local distributor had a used tank that he sold me for $20. They filled tanks on the spot for $1/lb and put them in the cooler first for a fuller fill. Then pick up the fixed regulator for $35 from 4x4rockshop.com. You'll be golden for less than $100.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
How did I miss all the stories of tires blowing up when I put together my CO2 system? Psst...it's fiction. You could blow up a tire with regular air if you put too much pressure in the tire.

Seriously, go to your local beer distributor and ask about 10lb CO2 cylinders. Get some quotes. I got lucky and my local distributor had a used tank that he sold me for $20. They filled tanks on the spot for $1/lb and put them in the cooler first for a fuller fill. Then pick up the fixed regulator for $35 from 4x4rockshop.com. You'll be golden for less than $100.

Ehirner, you know your stuff Wink but here's that link Fox was mentioning... http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm

HTH,
Stevo
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
Ehirner, you know your stuff Wink but here's that link Fox was mentioning... http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm

Here's my opinion on a complicated system like this. If I'm going to do something like this, with the work required, I'm going to do it right and go with a York. Those beasts push 10cfm and can run almost indefinitely.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I plan on doing when I get the money, I just found it interesting where he mounted his compressor.

After reading that, I realized it sounds like I am going with the route of the link that I posted, but I'm not. I plan on going the route of the York Compressor.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

York compressor? whats the differences fill me in please
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
York compressor? whats the differences fill me in please

It is an engine driven compressor. They were used as AC compressors in a lot of older vehicles and big rigs. You don't see them much anymore...they are fairly large to stuff under the hood of today's vehicles.

Check out www.onboardair.com
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed you that chart for filling times of a 2-gal. tank from 0-100PSI.

I'll post the link again...

Link for York Compressor -- scroll down a little to find the table I'm talking about.

Basically, the York Compressors are heavy duty compared to the 12V DC ones you always see. They can keep a tank filled that has a lot of extra stuff on it, like air lockers (front and rear) air horns (if you like that) and filling up tires in a matter of seconds.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got ya but seeing as how its huge which would be more practical?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: