Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to jeeps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyke427

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: new to jeeps Reply with quote

I have a few questions about cjs. I am hoping to buy a jeep cj or wrangler soon but dont know much about them.
I had a 78 bronco for a short time and didnt like it much.
I wish to do some trailing in the local mountains but dont know what to look for. I have been looking at a 66 cj5 that is almost stock but the trans has been pulled and rebuilt, it needs to be reinstalled.
is the stock V6 and manual trans even good for what I wish to do. Also I looked at the frame and it is an open channel frame is this up to any abuse. if this is a good starting point about how much might I be looking at to buy this without getting ripped off. maybe I would be beter off looking for a newer jeep.
any help would be great.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a few questions about cjs. I am hoping to buy a jeep cj or wrangler soon but dont know much about them.
I had a 78 bronco for a short time and didnt like it much.
I wish to do some trailing in the local mountains but dont know what to look for. I have been looking at a 66 cj5 that is almost stock but the trans has been pulled and rebuilt, it needs to be reinstalled.

i don't think they're any harder or easier to work on than other vehicles, but it can/will be alot harder to find parts. if you want to be able to run down to your local parts store for everything, i highly recommend staying away from it.

Quote:
is the stock V6 and manual trans even good for what I wish to do.

yes and now. it depends on exactly what you want to do and what your used to. if your used to v8 power, then this will seem pretty close to dead to you. if it doesn't have the right gears in it with to large a tire, it will seem/be underpowered.

Quote:
Also I looked at the frame and it is an open channel frame is this up to any abuse.

if the frame is not damaged or rotten, then yes they are a good starting point. they flex insanely well even stock because the frame is more "flexible". it does need major re-enforcement by the steering box though.

Quote:
if this is a good starting point about how much might I be looking at to buy this without getting ripped off. maybe I would be beter off looking for a newer jeep.
any help would be great.

is it a good starting point??? that's hard to say. are you looking for a project??? are you looking for something you can drive right away with minimal/normal maintenance??? do you want to be able to get 100% of the parts at the local parts store???

those old jeeps require alot more maintenance than newer once do because of the way alot of the stuff is designed. most things won't be something you'll be able to fix in one day or over a weekend, because you won't be able to find alot of stuff local, or at least not without hunting. some stuff will either be impossible to find, or so expensive that you'll have to modify things here and there.

i bought myself a 71CJ5 this summer. it drove when i picked it up and i was totally excited. but when i got home and started doing safety checks on it, it got worse and worse. it needed a complete new brake system. lines and everything. the parts for the front brakes alone ran me almost $300 and took about 2 weeks to find. the electrical was so damaged, spliced and unrecognizable that i had to pull all the wires out of it. i found 4" of rot on the frame that i have to weld.

not trying to scare you off, but just giving you a heads up. if you want something you can drive right away and only needs maintenance when it's due or something brakes, then go mid 90's or newer.

[/quote]
________
marijuana vaporizers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: