Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Jeep Problems...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggdashure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Cold Jeep Problems... Reply with quote

Hi,

First time in this forum. Anyway, I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L I6 engine in it which has about 90,000 miles. When I park the vehicle outside, say early evening, and leave it for a couple hours in the cold and then go somewhere, the Jeep starts like a champ. However, when I put it in gear and push on the gas I get a slight responce, and then its like engine is being choked or something, because it almost dies. If I push on the gas more, I get nothing sometimes makes it worse. Then all of a sudden the Jeep springs back to life and I'm thrown back into my seat. A friend of mine thought it is probably my fuel pump. But, I want a second opinion. Mr. Green

Thanks,
Matt
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choking almost sounds like the catalytic converter going bad. I don't know why it would "srping back to life" though. Fuel pump makes sense though.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
eggdashure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the more I read the more I suspect the converter.

Maybe "Spring back to life" wasn't the best way to explain it. It's more of a surge in power. I can recall leaving a restaurant, we pulled onto the main road and when I pushed on the gas it was like there was nothing there. The Jeep sputtered and I heard a "clank" not too loud, but then it surged as I mentioned before. After that it seemed to be ok.

One thing I read is that bad performance can be due to the converter as well. Is this true?

Matt Confused
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I talk about bad converters I'm talking about break down in the "brick" in the converter. It can clog up the exhaust and cause stalling and loss of power. It happened in my 5.2L ZJ and I had problems going up minor hills and it stalled a lot. Took it to the shop and they said clogged wasn't quite the word for how bad mine was clogged up. Your "clank" could be caused by a piece of the converter moving and unclogging the exhaust and hence the surge of power.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Dakar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible you may have some water in your tank. From what you were describing, I had a similar problem a few years ago in an old car of mine when it was cold and esp. when wet (not a jeep though). Before doing anything major I'd suggest you get some ISO-HEET or something along those lines and put it into your tank.
THULE M.O.A.B. roof basket
BAJA Lights (because doing it in the dark rocks!)

about to install exhaust, steering stabilizer, throttle body spacer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eggdashure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water idea is certainly something to try. However, it's not that cold out, like 45 degrees. So I don't THINK it's that, but easy fix if it works! Wink

Also, are "Magna Flow" Catalytic Converters any good? I found one for 60 bucks with free shipping. I don't want to buy crap, but I don't want to spend a lot either. "Have my cake and eat it too!" = P
Thanks!
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that magna flow is a good company. I know someone who has one of their exhausts (on a ricer none the less) and its nice. I would assume that their catalytic converters would be good. I would say go for it.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: