Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whinning Noise with a Load in Front Axle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Whinning Noise with a Load in Front Axle Reply with quote

Problem was worked on by Dealership first. They replaced Differential bearings but not gears which I thought was crazy considering how much they charged me. Anyhow! Two weeks later, noise creeped up again and just never took it back because of the frusation of it all. Now it drives me crazy. When going up a hill, the sound gets louder. While driving straight at higher speeds, the sound is not as loud, Just constant noise. Could it be that the dealership didn't do the correct adjustments?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for diff noise post.. I did a big post of how to diagnose diff noise .. If you are whining under load it could be that the preload is to tight..

Check that and see if it helps...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to do a rear brake job to find that my rear passenger axle bearing was bad. Replaced both rear bearings, seals + 1 bad axle + brake job and the whining went away. But now there's a lower pich growl sound which "is much quieter than the whine" believe me, comming from the front differential. I hear it even when I'm comming to a stop. Anyone before I jump off into it. Thanks
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack it up and check the unit bearings and wiggle the front drive shaft.. If you get play at the yoke or your wheel bearings thats your problem...

I would say the roar in your front is either a loose pinion nut or a bad bearingon your pinion.. But unit bearings are known to go bad on these things..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but are the unit bearings the same as the wheel bearings? I looked in my manual and couldn't find anything on unit bearings.

I know the wheel bearings are good. I checked the yoke and it feels tight. But where the front and rear driveshafts meet the trnsfr case, there's more play than wanted assuming the bearings are worn. Anyhow, today I removed the front driveshaft and gave it a test drive and the sound was gone. But while parking at the parts store, I parked on an incline and when I let off the brake, the jeep slowly began to roll backwards. Backed in and it did the same rolling forward. When you put it in park, doesn't that lock up the tranny and not allow any roll?

So I get back home and decide to check the torque of the pinion nut. I start by checking the preload torque to find it turning to easy. So I think the nut is loose like you suggested (Swamp Boy). I start my value at 160 ft lbs and take it to 220 without the nut budging. My preload doesn't get any tighter of course. My issue is I dont have a tool to hold the yoke so I was putting my tires on the ground to hold the yoke. Is that a no no and would the torqing be easier and more correct by having a yoke tool? I havent had my driveshaft inspected but I dont think my u-joints are bad. So assuming my driveshaft is good, preload correct. Could it be the worn bearings in the transfer case causing the noise. There is oil leaking from the diff pinion shaft seal where the yoke attaches. After the dealership changed the diff bearings and new pinion seal, it leaked oil so I took it back and they put another seal in it and it still leaks so I never took it back just for your knowlege in case that helps in diagnosing problem

Thanks again
RR
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: