Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New To Jeeps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raygun4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: New To Jeeps Reply with quote

Hello everyone.I'm in need of your opinions.My wife and I are looking in to buy a 97 or newer Cherokee.We have found several,but they all have 90k-110k miles.One in particular ('99 Classic,4wd,loaded) had 104k.It was in overall excellent condition but I'm a little shy with the miles.Their asking price is $7950.Would I be stupid to buy with such miles.The motor sounds as smooth as silk with no engine noise at all.Any help would be appreciated
Thanks. Ryan
Offroad Overstock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around alot...there are so many used XJs on the market they can be had CHEAP!!
Lowrider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about the 4.0 liter in-line six?

It definitely depends on how they've been treated but the engines are good for a lot more miles than those you looked at. I have a '97 Cherokee with 99,000 miles on it and it runs like the day it was new. Uses no oil between changes, has plenty of power, and is 100% reliable.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Raygun4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,the one I was looking at was the 4.0 I6.I would definately want them to come down some on the price .Iwas thinking$6500.It books at $7600 withthat many miles.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: buying Reply with quote

Just curious what you call loaded? I bought a 99 Sport 6 months ago for $5300 with 90k. It has pw/pl/ac/tinted windows/4x4 and towing package. I think if you look around you can find a better deal unless you want leather/ power seats/ ABS/ Alloy wheels. They didn't make as many with the extra options so they cost a bit more. Mileage isn't a big deal for these vehicles assuming the front end is tight with no noises in 4 wheel drive. The engines last a long time with normal maintenance. Good luck and be patient. Also, don't be suprized if you find you have to replace the rear springs, stock ones only last 5 or 6 years before they start to sag badly.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...we have 160k on the wife's '95 XJ and it still runs great. We bought it new though, and always serviced it. It's been one of the best rigs we've owned. And I wouldn't worry about paying a bit more for one that has been taken care of either...especially if you guys plan on holding on to it for awhile. Hopefully though Phantum will jump in here and maybe give you some things to look for.

Overall though, I wouldn't be afraid of the miles.
Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles on a 4.0 are nothing to be afraid of...the engine is a rock. With regular oil changes they have been known to go well over 350K.

I wouldn't pay $8K for a 7 year old loaded XJ with 104K miles, but I think you are on the right track with the numbers you'd offer. If it were me, I would keep looking.

Someone mentioned rear springs...look for one that has the towing package. Aside from getting with a full size spare and a factory tranny cooler, it will have heavy duty rear springs which are much less prone to sagging.

If you haven't seen it check out this thread. It's a listing of the stock specs for XJ's during the production run.

Good Luck

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raygun4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input.We are going shopping tomorrow.We need a new vehicle soon.My 94 S-10 Blazer is on its death bed.
dadstoys2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading all the info that was posted about all the options available and I am really begining to wonder if I might have the 4:10's in my jeep. Its an 85 pioneer and on the highway with my 31" tires I run about 3k at 65-70mph. that sounds pretty high to me. how do I find out if it is the "off highway package?
Guess I probably need to chissle off the mud and try to find a tag on the rear. I have look breifly before with no luck though.
I also have another question to phantom.
A few yrs back I was looking over a jeep at a car lot I was helping out with repairs... and they had a late 80's -early 90's XJ that they thought was not right. The transfer case had .... 4L, 4L lock. 4H, 4H lock and 2H. I figured out that the lock options for sure were locking the the diff. on hard ground it would hop all over.
Of course when I realized that it had factory lockers I tried to buy it. no luck though. I have never heard this as an option in our XJ's from anywhere though.
Can you shed a little light on this??
~Rich
5bucks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I must have found a good deal! Picking up a '99 Cherokee Classic, 4.0, 4x4 with 97K for $4,500 from private party. It's clean... I'd say better than average condition. Everything works, engine purs and not even a hint of rust.

I'm replacing a '92 Pathfinder with 160K that's about rusted to the ground. I'm a convert to the Cherokee. Best friend had one that was still free of rust and running well when he sold it with 200K. Sister in law has a '99 with 140K that's never given her a problem.
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid $700 for my '87 XJ with 150k miles. Its a pioneer. Other than a horribly botched "budget boost" its in great shape. The kid got rid of it cause he couldnt get it to shift right. And I admit I had a bit of trouble the first couple times, until I realized I was hitting 3rd every time instead of first. LOL During his botched surgery on the suspension system he decided to go the cheap route on lowering the T-case AND tranny. When I say cheap route I mean, loosen the bolts to the very end of the threads, then smash them with a hammer so they cant come off. LOL What a num-nut. Anyhow, alot of time, and $4 in bolts later, the thing shifts great. Engine purrs, and Im runnin around on 2 brand new amd 2 well used 32 X 11.50's BFG MT's, 4" blocks in the rear(with custom smashed threading) unknown Pro-Comp radius arms (that he must have stolen, he was way to cheap to buy anything like that), and to top it all off, stock 10 year old front coils. Yes, Im raked like a '60's dragster. But its gonna be fun down the road. If I can keep from falling over. Trust me the custom body roll with the sway bar gone (not just disconnected, GONE!) is fantastic. Good luck on your purchase. I wish I had done a little more shpping, but it has been and will continue to be fun. Later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: