Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIGH-flow exhaust issue....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: HIGH-flow exhaust issue.... Reply with quote

Ok all you performance heads, a little help please. Sad I just had installed a high-flow cat and 40 series flowmaster exhaust system. The jeep ran perfect b4 it went onto the rack. Now, after coming down it wouldn't start and once we got it to catch, wouldn't run correctly. Had to keep it revved into the 2000rpm area to keep it alive. Almost killed me gettin it home cuttin off 3 times...ouch! Seems to get it to catch I need to hold the gas all the way to the floor and when it flutters, I jump out and run to the intake where I removed my K&N filter and place my hand over the tube almost cutting off all the air. It catches and now sounds like a super street with a cam barely staying idle. If I play with the gas and feather it I can get it to climb into the 1800-2500rpm range needed for it to kinda run. But if I floor it from here or idle, it bogs and almost cuts off. Now, here's what I have replaced. 1) fuel pressure reg. 2) IAC. idle air control valve and about to try the throttle position sensor as my mech says this controls air/fuel mix, timing etc. Which is where I tend to think the problem lies being as it's affected when I place my hand on the intake and restrict the flow. Could it possibly also just be that some things went out at the same time and affected each other? Maybe the injectors or the ecm is out of wack. Oh also replaced the o2 sensor. Would like to keep the system, sounds sic as heck and hauls azz but maybe the ol jeep doesn't have enough backpressure now? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS GUYS? Thank you. Confused
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds exactly like exactly what my buddy's ranger was doing a few days ago. He removed the aftermarket intake and put the stock on and it ran for an afternoon before it started stalling and runnin' rich. he cleaned the mass air flow sensor and it fixed it right up...

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
gtouimet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you disconnect your battery to reset the system? If not I would try that. Also did you mess with the intake manifold or headers? There might be a leak like its not tight enough. But I would try the battery.
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HIGH-flow exhaust issue.... Reply with quote

Titan4u2c wrote:
Ok all you performance heads, a little help please. Sad I just had installed a high-flow cat and 40 series flowmaster exhaust system. The jeep ran perfect b4 it went onto the rack. Now, after coming down it wouldn't start and once we got it to catch, wouldn't run correctly. Had to keep it revved into the 2000rpm area to keep it alive. Almost killed me gettin it home cuttin off 3 times...ouch! Seems to get it to catch I need to hold the gas all the way to the floor and when it flutters, I jump out and run to the intake where I removed my K&N filter and place my hand over the tube almost cutting off all the air. It catches and now sounds like a super street with a cam barely staying idle. If I play with the gas and feather it I can get it to climb into the 1800-2500rpm range needed for it to kinda run. But if I floor it from here or idle, it bogs and almost cuts off. Now, here's what I have replaced. 1) fuel pressure reg. 2) IAC. idle air control valve and about to try the throttle position sensor as my mech says this controls air/fuel mix, timing etc. Which is where I tend to think the problem lies being as it's affected when I place my hand on the intake and restrict the flow. Could it possibly also just be that some things went out at the same time and affected each other? Maybe the injectors or the ecm is out of wack. Oh also replaced the o2 sensor. Would like to keep the system, sounds sic as heck and hauls azz but maybe the ol jeep doesn't have enough backpressure now? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS GUYS? Thank you. Confused

I think you got it with the TPS. If you have already replaced the IAC the chances are its the TPS. Also try resetting the ECU. disconnect the batt for a little, pull the ECU fuse. either way will work just leave the truck sit with no fuse or bat for like 30 mins and then start it back up, see if u stil encounter the same problem. if so its prolly the tps.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right and I tried that but like 15 minutes while I messed with removing the TB spacer. But I'l go out there and disconnect the batt all night and see what's up. I cannot get the tps out as the bolts are bad and my allen wrench keeps slipping out. That's what she said! haha Anyway if I can't get them out I found a new oem TB with sensors for like 49 bucks so that's next if the reset doesn't work. Thanks guys. Rolling Eyes
catheadred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it ran perfect before you installed the exhaust and ran like crap the minute you let it off the rack then it is one of two things.1.the exhaust.2.something you broke,unplugged or installed incorrectly.a back pressure issue wouldnt effect the 4.0. it would however effect the 2.5.
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HIGH-flow exhaust issue.... Reply with quote

LicKwiD wrote:
Titan4u2c wrote:

I think you got it with the TPS. If you have already replaced the IAC the chances are its the TPS. Also try resetting the ECU. disconnect the batt for a little, pull the ECU fuse. either way will work just leave the truck sit with no fuse or bat for like 30 mins and then start it back up, see if u stil encounter the same problem. if so its prolly the tps.

Did you hook the o2 sensors up again, the comp reads signals from the 02 to see where it needs to adj to keep emissions. it will prob throw a code saying your running rich or to lean. get the batt tested for free at autozone, or advanced and see if its just a power issue, i doubt it. how many miles are on the vehicle?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is it? Are there any codes being thrown? 96+ years have an upstream O2 sensor on the drop pipe from the exhaust manifold and a downstream sensor on the cat. If one of them was diconnected it would definatley throw a code.

The symptoms do scream TPS though. The TPS on older models is adjustable...hence the original question. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, it's a '91 xj manual with around 300k, she's been good so I don't wanna shoot her just yet. I saw a brand new oem TB with sensors on e-bay for 50 bucks so hell with it, gonna replace that too. Yes I hooked the o2 sensor back up, boy is it loud w/o it...haha and no dice same prob. As for the exhaust being the culprit I doubt it because I had them recheck it and it flows mega more air back there at the tailpipe. However after I do get it to catch and rev after awhile the cat gets red hot and the flow muffler changes color, so I'm thinking there's alot of fuel being dumped, as in too lean or too rich? I'm hoping when I get the new TB on with all new sensors it will work. Cannot get the tps bolts loose hence just replace the darn thing. haha. Most everything is within a year new or rebuilt. (fuel pressure reg, batt, wires, plugs, coil, cap, rotor, IAC, intake filter, fuel filter, rad., diff oil.) Only thing left will be injectors and a new ecm. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it up.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, NOTHING WORKED! haha Threw on a bigger bore {new} 62mm TB and same thing. Whenever I can get it to start it revs and catches and soemtimes idles right, hence the IAC is working. Also installed the new TPS but to no avail, swapped out a used maf sensor from a junk yard, so who knows if that one even worked. But nothing. It has to be a fuel/air issue I just know it. If I have someone try to start it, no dice by itself. But if I remove the air filter and choke off the intake it will sputter and cough and catch finally. After it revs and comes back down to idle I can drive it but have to feather the throttle to keep it around 2000 rpm. If it is in between say 1500 and 3000 rpm it runs like a scalded dog but if I floor it she bogs down and sputters and even backfires. And if I let it fall below 1500 it sometime stalls, so I 'm back to the fuel issue being rich or mean maybe? I'm considering changing the injectors or at least the o-rings. I see no leaks but other than the maf sensor, fuel pump or something I missed, that's where I'm thinking. Anybody? haha
tomynoks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said, "The jeep ran perfect b4 it went onto the rack."

Wouldn't make sense to undo everything you've done since it went on the rack and see if it'll run perfect again?

If it does, get a stock exhaust/cat and leave it alone :o))
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well can't reweld the stock exhaust back in and it was the MAP sensor, fuel curve was outta whack. Thanks.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just proves that I don't know much! Glad you got it taken care of!!
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: