Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil low message?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: oil low message? Reply with quote

hey guys, i just baught my first vehicle at an auction on wed...well i did a oil change today and switched to sythetic oil, well after i was done it says oil level low but the thing is its at full on the stick, i find it strange. im thinkin its just sumthin wrong wtih a sensor or sumthing but has anyone else had this problem? also i noticed sum steering troubles, i have braught this up just recently but nothing really took off on it, so i just buaght it and i noticed that the steering is kinda difficult, like ive driven jeeps before and damn this is so much different its hard and it sounds like sumthing is binding up whenever i turn its wierd, i check a few times to see if anything was bent and well i didnt find a thing, any idea? holy crap this is long sry you guys lol
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it doenst like synthetic oil
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm maybe lol oh well, i guess ill just ignore it but it beeps everytime i turn on the jeep and its kinda annoying but w/e if sumone has solved this problem please tell me it annoying
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllll what kind of Vehicle did you buy??? I know its a Jeep cause you said so.. I am assuming its a Grand Cherokee since you posted it here.. Mr. Green

But what year is it?? What size motor?? What transfercase?? Is it even 4WD??

The steering issue you are having could either be a bad unit bearing or it could be your VC going bad in the T case.. Thats your most likely problem..

Give me some info ...I can help.. Mr. Green Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok its a 1993 jeep ZJ 5.2L V8 Finger 249 t-case and im planning on ordering a lift kit tomorrow and im also wanting to fix this steering problem before i install the lift im gunna order...so post bak and pleeease help me fix this issue it drives me nuts lol Evil or Very Mad
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a newbie to this kinda stuff so bare with me carl...wats a VC? haha
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VC is what your problem is with the front tires scrubbing or locking up or dragging or how ever you want to describe it... Its the Vicious Coupler the hydrolic assembly in the transfer case that locks the front driveshaft when in 4wd.. IT is very common to go bad.. It wont hurt to keep driving but most people opt to swap to a different case.. (See tech section for my writeup on 242 swap)

OK.. Low oil level... If your level is fine and your pressure is good I wouldnt sweat it.. Its probobly a short.. Wiring problems are very common with these vehicles.. But if you have less than 60psi when running or 40 at idle you may have pressure problems.. My rig runs almost 80psi when running.. It seems high but thats the way it has been since I put the new oil pump in..(Melling high volume)

The Vehicle information center (heretofore known as VIC ) is also knownt to give false messages.. It sucks to drive around with stupid lights on or crappy warning messages , so you can try to reset it by disconnecting the battery and turning on the key.. Let it sit like that for a few minutes and hook it back up. That will clear all computer codes and should reset that as well..

I will look in my manual and see if there is a way to bypass the oil level sensor and let you know what I find..

now this is a long post... rofl rofl

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man thank you so much for tellin me this, im thinking of switching out my t-case its just i wont be doing that anytime soon, but umm even if the VC is going bad would dry steering still have the same prob, even if im in park....yea i know dry steering sucks but i was just checking! lol...and thank you for telling me about how to reset that damn oil message...i dont have the jeep here at my house but its at my dads shop so ill go today and try this stuff out....post bak and tell me if that steering could possibly be anything else? i just want to rule out everything that might possibly be it so i dont have to wurry about sumthing happening on the freeway or out 4wheeling.... Rolling Eyes
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. vc usually only acts up at slow speed...If you are having trouble while in park, check luid level...

p_2_biking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check fluid level in what? lol power steering? cause i already did that...or do you mean my t-case
93 jeep cherokee limited

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the oil level there is a sensor next to the distribitor cap a oil pressure sending unit that is bad. change it and it will be fine.
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanks, it hasnt been coming up since i reset the computer like swampy instructed before.....oh yeah swampy my oil pressure is at 70 lol take it its good Finger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: