Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 30 Lock-Right

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aspencop129

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Dana 30 Lock-Right Reply with quote

I just bought a ZJ that has a Lock-Right in the front axle. It has only been in for about 2,000 miles, and I'm looking to remove it. Yea, Yea, I know.......but the vehicle will be used mostly by my soon to be 16 year old son, and we have a lot of snow and ice here. As the vehicle will see mostly on road duty (yea, right Rolling Eyes ) I don't think it will be wise to keep the locker in the front.

So, I'm looking to remove it and have a couple of questions. First, what exactly will I need to get (spider gears, etc.) to make an open diff again? Second, is this something I can do myself? Is there any critical tolerances or shims that I'll need to be conserned with when re-installing the open gearing? And, lastly, anyone here interested in the locker once it's out?

Thanks for the help...... thanks
aspencop129

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think your son will take it off road? because if you think he will i would just leave it installed to save you some time, headache and possibly money

if not im not exactly sure what is involved in taking one out
aspencop129

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
do you think your son will take it off road?

rofl If he doesn't I know I will! Rolling Eyes

But the real point of it is that it will be mostly street driven, and with the amount of winter conditions we have, I think it will be "safer" on the road without the locker.
davez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to give it away, I'll take it.

If you're looking to sell it, how much?

-dave
aspencop129

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get out of it whatever it costs me to "re-build" an open diff. I'll check into that and make up a very reasonable number. Very Happy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to remove it you'll need the spider gears, side gears and thrust washers (the washers should be in there with the LockRight). Short answer, yes, you should be able to do it yourself. It's doubtfull you'll have to pull the carrier (D30 installs can be done without pulling it), but even if you do, it does not require that you touch the ring and pinion setup.

If the carrier does have to be pulled, use a punch to mark the bearing caps and put small grind marks on the races as well as any shims so you remember how they go back in. Of course, this should already be done if the carrier had to be removed to get the locker in there. Wink

Having said all that, I've only installed them...I've never removed one and put spiders back.

I would call Richmond Gear first and see what they have to say...they make the LockRight and should be able to give you some decent advice.

HTH

Good Luck

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the spider gears & cross pins from a D35 would fit a D30... I have a set of those that I'd trade for the locker (and cover shipping on my end). It's possible that the gears are the same, but I doubt that the pin is the same. I know that the lcoker has it's own special crosspin.
aspencop129

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll do the checking to see if it will work, we can sure talk. I'm just to busy to do the research right now............. shock
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send you some dana 30 spiders if you sell me the locker .. how much do you want for it???

Also .. I second aspencop.. Its not safe for a new driver to have a locked front axle on snow.. It will cause him to lock up and slide on ice ... I used to live in Michigan and saw many a guy slide off the road

It is simple take the locker out .. Put the spiders in place of it...

In case you just want to buy spiders ...
Here is a set on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Dana-30-Spider-Gears-Grand-Cherokee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ4614054504QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a limited slip up front? would that be better for DD than a locker?
aspencop129

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As primarily a DD, I'll live with the open front diff. I will be looking at an 8.8 for the rear in the summer (too d*%m cold here now) and may consider some more aggressive form of locker back there.

The Jeep will see some off road, but if I limit it's capabilities a little, I'm thinking it will keep number one son out of too much trouble. rofl
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised by where you can get with a stock ZJ on a budget boost... Mr. Green

rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: