Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 Starting and Stalling Prob

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raytech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: 94 Starting and Stalling Prob Reply with quote

First off, HI. I am new here. I have owned a 94 GC for a little over a year now. it is a 4.0 with an auto and 145k on the clock.

It started having problems awhile ago of stalling while driving. It would just die completely. There was no certain condition that was present every time it occured. After doing some searching on this site, I determined it was the CPS. Well yesterday it died before I had a chance to change it. So today in the parking lot of a restraunt, I changed the sensor. By the way, I live in WI. It was real fun. Finally got the sensor changed. Tried to start it. Crank, but no start. Reset the ECU. Again, Crank but no start. Then I remembered the thread about the sensor not being installed properly. Backed out the screw and resnugged it. Crank and fire, but have to floor it. Runs like total crap now(timing is totally screwed). Backfiring and black smoke. Engine tries to kick backwards while cranking. Will not idle, and does not have enough power to drive down hill.

I will be putting in the old sensor(cause it started before I replaced it) tomorrow. What could have happened? Bad sensor? Really good sensor and bad compensation from the ecu? My first thought, was to time the dist. Embarassed Not used to something totally computer controlled.

Whats the next step?

One last thing. Idle was usually at about 300 rpms warm, since I got it. I know factory isn't accurate, but 300?

Sorry so long
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess woulda been the CPS but now im not sure maybe its the TPS but still puttin a new crank sensor shouldnt make it worse

keep us updated
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the old CPS back in and it started. Ran like crap (way better than before), but that was cause it was flooded from the previous new CPS problem. Not real happy with the sensor I got. Not real happy with the engine designer at this point either. I forgot my rubber arm at the inlaws so it was not a fun night.

Will be changing the plugs and oil tomorrow, and still need to get a sensor. I am heading to rockauto.com after this.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a new sensor when you return them the one you bought you should get a replacement with no charge since the one you have isnt any good

what about the cap and rotor? does the rotor look bad?
raytech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap and rotor are new, about 3 months old.

Just replaced the plugs, and changed the oil and filter tonight. Runs somewhat smooth now. But I don't want to put it back on the road until I get the sensor replaced. I will be going to the store tomorrow at lunch. They better replace. Cost me not only 2 days without a vehicle (due to no rubber arm and a bad sensor), but also 6 new plugs and 5 quarts of oil, plus the filter.

Oil is very flammable. Filled with fuel.

Thanks for the responses.
raytech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replaced the CPS with another unit and all is fine. The only way I will find out if the prob is completely fixed is if it does not die again.

Not very encouraging though.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it got way noticeably better after the new CPS?

let me know how it turns out
raytech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got about 300 miles so far after the sensor change, and not a single hiccup. Sensor change seems to have solved the prob so far.

What is the average fuel economy for a GC with the 4.0? hope it is better than the 15mpg that I am getting.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im lifted and im gettin like 16-18 on interstate

check your air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor

how are all those things?

what tcase do you have?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good that you have the problem fixed as well
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the things you mentioned are new, and the plugs are gapped at .035. I am not sure what TC I have. It is not fulltime. I turn about 2K at 70 on the freeway. The economy indicator in the overhead usually says around 18-21 MPG, but calculations say otherwise. I am lucky to get 250 miles on a tank before the light comes on. My girlfreind gets even worse mileage with it, but I baby it cause of the crappy mileage.

I am actually looking for a motor to rebuild, so it will have a fresh motor with perhaps a few more Ponies. This one is real weak. Can't make it up medium grade hills without downshifting.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and your stock?

hmmmm
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, 100% stock, for now.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long have you had it? when you say weak was it weak when you got it or has it slowly gotten worse?
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never really had any amount of power, but I figured it was cause it was the inline 6. I don't think it has really gotten any worse in the last 30k miles. Not noticeably anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: