Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shackle lift short cut????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamoose34

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Shackle lift short cut???? Reply with quote

If any of you have put a shackle lift on a factory YJ you most likely have run into the problem of the direction the bolts on the rear leafs. They are pointed to the outside with the head towards the gas tank. The space between the tank and the frame is not big enough to get them out without cutting them or dropping the fuel tank. If thats the case, then I will just have to suck it up and do it.
If any of you know of a different way to do this project without dropping the tank just to get the friggin' bolts out please feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I will have a front end lifted YJ running around loose on my hands.
tonloco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had the same problem and never could get them out so i just cut them off and put the new ones in the other direction
pamoose34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Watauga TX, I'm a Dallas native now elsewhere (I miss the mother land!). Yes I found out after the fact of your email and completing my project (I cut the bolts, thanks for the suggestion) while speaking with my brother who looked online somewhere and saw that with the 20gal tanks there is always this problem, where as if I had the 15 gal tank this would not have been the issue. If I was hell bent on keeping the bolts without cutting them the only option would be to drop the tank and do the job then. Those stupid engineers at Jeep did that on purpose because the front bolts were not like this, they were pointed inward and came off without any problems. Either way thanks for the suggestion, otherwise I would have dropped my tank like an idiot.
tonloco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is funny my dad has a 90 yj but his did not come with gas tank skid so i was able to do his without any problems. at least now that you are done when you decide to put a supension lift on it will be easier
93YJFalcon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut mine out, but I've heard that you can push the bolt in towards the tank far enough to get the rubber bushings out then you can somehow wiggle the bolt out the rest of the way. I'm not sure if this really works though, just something I've heard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: