Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly Buying A Grand Cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootehound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Possibly Buying A Grand Cherokee Reply with quote

So, three weeks ago I left work and found my trusty XJ had been stolen. The police found it about a week ago, but it was beaten to hell.

I was out looking for a new XJ this weekend and wound up driving a 94 Grand Cherokee that was sitting in a used car lot. It's a 6 cyl, with 123,000 miles on it. The dealer was asking 2295.00 for it, but I'm pretty certain I could knock that down by at least $300.00.

What am I looking for in a Grand Cherokee? What are the problem areas?
Is the 6 the exact same bullet-proof engine that's been in all my XJs? What about the tranny and transfer case? Any area prone to rust?
Any serious weak spots? Thanks!!
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its the same engine the transmission however is different, the grands use a 42RE trans in place of the AW4 trans found in XJs, as for problems usually lift kits cost more do to the fact that they are coils all the way around

being as its 94 you could get lucky like me and not have the stupid cv boots in the front end

as for everything else they are pretty solid just minor differences

what all do you plan to do with it? Daily driver duty mostly or heavy wheeler?
rootehound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be used as a daily driver in the winter, less in the summer.

Other than putting some beefy tires on it I probably won't modify it much.
OKZJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then go for it, man. I love mine. I knew I would like it when I bought it, but it has just gotten better with time. Makes you feel good when you make a purchase like that. I hope yours goes the same way. I love the XJs, but I wouldn't ever trade my ZJ for one of them. Or anything for that matter. I'll drive this one till it dies.
30" A/T
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then for a DD you might like it better than the XJ, it has more interior room and just feels more spacious
aspencop129

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one and am loving it! Picking up an ARB front bumper in a few days, can't wait!

May look for an 8.8 for the rear this summer, and then just drive! Wink
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will ride much better than the XJ as well..

Hell mine lifted and big tires rides better than the average stock XJ.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rootehound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm convinced that I'll replace my stolen XJ with a GC...

I was just about ready to head over to the used car dealer and put a deposit on the CG I drove last weekend, when one of the salesmen who calls on my business came in and heard me talking on the phone about buying a Grand Cherokee...

He mentioned that he had a 95 SE(?) he was looking to sell. It's a 6 cyl. with 171,000 miles on it. He said the tranny was starting to slip, but he only wants $1200.00 for it.

I took it for a drive, and sure enough the tranny slipped a bit when leaving the parking lot. When I got back form the drive I checked the tranny fluid and it was low. Probably the reason the tranny was slipping.
(I didn't tell him that, figuring he'd raise the price or decide not to sell it!)

Here's my question... Is there any reason the tranny would slip besides being low on fluid? I've heard the that CG trannys aren't very strong... Is that true?

Worst case scenario... What do good boneyard trannys cost? Is there any sort of upgrade (later year tranny, etc.)? I assume to replace it I'd have to remove the transfer case, but is there anythig tricky about it?

Thank for all the help!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone yard tranny will probobly be at least $500 ... You can drop it at a good tranny shop for another $1200 or so and get it profesionally rebuilt and it will last another 150,000 miles or so..

Or you can rebuild it yourself for about $500 in parts ...

I just finished rebuilding mine and although it wasnt that hard I can tell you it was alot of work..

Oh and whatever you do.. Get on the puter and order yourself a transgo shift kit.. It will make your tranny much stronger and last longer..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: