Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factory running TEMP. 93 4.0L?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Factory running TEMP. 93 4.0L????? Reply with quote

I just got my temperature guage working on my 93 xj 4.0L. and today up in the trail, it would occasionally reach temperatures past 210 degrees. It still seemed to run ok, and didnt completely overheat, but came close.

What temperature do they usually run at?? i'm still new to these trucks. I'm almost thinking it doesn't even have a thermostat in it at all. also, what degree are the factory thermostats in the 4.0L???
When i turned on my defroster, and the electric fan engaged, the temp went down drastically, so I'm thinking about wiring the fan to a keyed power source so it stays on with the key on..... thanks for any info.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ILLXJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most will run at 210. The electric fan will kick on about 220. It will also turn on with the air or defrost. JIM.
________
extreme vaporizer

Last edited by ILLXJ on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had mine bone dry and ran 20 miles or so home on it, not that I recommend that but...haha Usually 190 to 210 is norm. A little more if she's slow footin on a trail, just be sure you have replaced the radiator with a 3 core heavy duty if you can stand it, or at least have your fluid changed regularly. Yeah Jeeps will amaze you, just maintain it accordingly. Have you thought about going to a lower thermostat? I believe the factory was 180 but they make them in 165 or so forms which will open at a lower temp. Only about 10-15 bucks with gasket and you can do it yourself in about 20-30 minutes. Also maybe you might want to look into those water wetter products....supposedly they lower your temp by as much as 15 degrees, never tried them personally, more for race cars but might not hurt? Good luck.
cheap cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched my thermostat with the 165 and it sucks in the winter, lol. I was going to put the 195 back in when it got cold (it gets cold here in northeren IN) but i was too lazy so I drove all winter without heat until I bought the car I usually drive now, 3 weeks ago.
RudeAwakening Motorsports

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running a lower thermostat isn't the best thing to do always. Depending on how much colder you go, you can seriously decrease your gas milage without very many benfits. If you want to run cooler, get a better radiator. They're really not that expensive.
=Jason-
99 Ford ZX2
87 Kawasaki Ninja 750R
....Too many toys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: