Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question about stearing noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beauwoods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Newbie question about stearing noise Reply with quote

When I turn in either direction, slow or fast, my Cherokee (92 laredo) makes a clikcing noise almost like that of a bad CV joint. I have had several people look at it and they all give me a different answer (tracking bar, stearing box, etc..)

Anyone have any idea? I would like to have some clue before I take it to a mechanic and say fix it, they usually find all types of things that need "fixing" Sad in a situation like that.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the advice you say you were already given would be where to start. Make sure the trackbar is tight. The trackbar axle mount has an issue staying tight unless you really torque it down. I know when mine was loose, it would make a click while turning the wheel.

It should be fairly easy to figure out where the problem is if you have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you laying underneath and listen for where the click it.
beauwoods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am on my way out to tighten it right now! Hope this works. I have laid under there many times though and cannot locate the sound, it is deceving. I actually had a mechanic lay under there with a stethescope and check (he is the one that said the tracking bar). wish me luck, it is ever so anoying.
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 90 sounded as you explained (clicking), it was the CV Joint. Better to check all the free stuff first though.
beauwoods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it is the CV, I climbed under a listened and it sounds like the manual gear box, or the tracking bar. I tightened down the tracking abr and it still seem to making the noise so my next stop is that gear box. Any idea on how painful of a task those are to replace.

relatively new to mechanics, more of a Shocked , but I figure if I really want to keep this Jeep as great of an off roader as she has been to me I might as well learn.

I really miss the Arizona desert, not as many off roading locations in Maine as there are in Zona. Crying or Very sad
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the bolt hole on the axle side of the track bar hasn't wobbled out to make the hole egg shaped Mr. Green
NoFEAR4x4jc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same knock noise, but it goes away after i stomp a deep puddle. it will return after a few minutes of on-road driving. on average, from a stand still position, if I turn the wheel from one extreme to the other i hear anywhere from 5-8 sharp knocks.
a while back, I was re-doing the front breaks, and somehow i ended up puncturing the grease boot. could this cause the noise? any imput would be greatly appreciated
Dan96XJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had the same knocking niose before, started being quite intermitent and a pain to resolve, but got worse to almost evry time i turned the wheel.

it turned out to be my steering box being loose. after tightening it all up, the noise is all gone.
NoFEAR4x4jc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i found the knock... turns out that there was a part where the lower engine mount is bolted to the frame. there were 3 bolts holding the two pieces of metal together. on a turn, they would slide and knock when they couldn't slide anymore. It was on the front right side, directly under the power steering fluid resivor. hope this helps, alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: