Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radiator thread size help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
col9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Radiator thread size help Reply with quote

Hi all, I have just fitted a new radiator to my 1998 grand cherokee. all went well at only 2 hours.

the only problem I have is that the upper oil pipe thread on the new radiator is a different size to the nut on the car.

I think the new thread on the radiator is 16x1.5. the old thread on the nut/pipe is just ever so slightly bigger.

Can anyone suggest what size it may be?

the original radiator part number is 52079597 AB.

Out of the 150 grand cherokee radiators like mine the guy has sold he has only had 2 that have my problem, mine makes 3. It seems limited to 1998 models.

thanks.
Col.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 98 radiator in my ZJ and i got the fitting from Home depot.. It was standard pipe thread.. I dont remember the size.. Sorry I guess thats not help.. But what you can do is get a compression nut from Depot that looks the same and try it .. YOu can always Bing it back if its wrong..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
col9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, looks like i have to make one up, just wondering does anyone know what pressure the oil line to the radiator is at, at its maximum?

Thanks again
Col.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under 300 Psi but its flowing thru at close to 200* so you have to use a good line... I just had a shop custom make cooling lines for me out of Braided stainless.. it cost me about $150 but is well worth it... Never break or blow another line..

I would suggest just getting the fitting off or a 98 at a bone yard and cutting just the lip off or your line and reflaring with the 98 fitting on the line..

Does that make sence???

Cut as little as possible from your line and put on the fitting (from a bone yard so its free) and reflare the line.. Then you have the solid steel line and the correct fitting...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
col9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 psi Shocked my word, I didnt think it woud be anything like that much.

Anyway made an adapter at work by cutting the old threaded bit off the old radiator and drilling and tapping the inside and threading that onto an adapter and its all cool.

filled the rad up today and ran the engine for 45mins took forever to get the top hose warm and radiator has hot and cold spots is this normal or is there a predefined method for bleeding any air out?

Temp gauge is reading normal bang on 100c, the heater got nice and hot then cooled down then got and stayed hot, all the hoses apart from the top one feel hot and full. The top hose was quite warm after 30 mins but felt empty.

The header/overflow tank filled up about a inch higher than it was when I started. other than that it seems good (for now Confused )

I did a quick search for a method but could only find fuel related matches.

Thanks again for the replys.

Col.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take off the radiator cap and rev it up a bit.. Then shove a water hose in the radiator and let it run for a minute.. Then you will see any air bubles that you have come to the top .. Add more water as needed...

Have you flushed out the system???? Take off the bottom and top hose and run water up the bottom of the radiator till it comes out the top then do the same with the engine..

col9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ive got all the air out now and it runs a treat aswell as a little bit cooler than it was running.

The only problem I now have is that it wont drive/idle on LPG anymore but thats a question for another forum I think.

Anyway thanks for the help

Oh yeah while i think about it, I have the remote keyless entry system with the 2 buttons lock/unlock. While changing the battery I noticed that is a 3rd button inside but it has no cut out on the case what if anythig does it do and has anyone tried pressing it?

Col.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: