Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fender flares

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2mnycars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: fender flares Reply with quote

I searched this out without any luck, so I am going to ask if anyone has had this problem. I have a 98 Sport and the fender flares must have been manufactured with a polymer that does NOT resist fading from UV rays. They are really looking ugly. The plastic in both rear and front bumpers are a different matter, they are fine. I have used Trim Renew and it works for a while, but I am looking for a better solution. Any ideas?
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the old "fading flares" trick. Thanks Chrysler! Your black moulding will fade too, unfortunately. Apparently the plastic they used doesn't like to hold onto paint very well.

You can remove your flares and repaint them, or just remove them and trim out the fenders, or even replace them with something else. I've seen Bushwacker flares on XJs as new as 2001, so I know they'll fit despite what their manufacturer says. So you have a few options to go over.

HTH

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=737
2mnycars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gun.
2mnycars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on Bushwacker. As you said, they don't have anything for a 98. You were pretty sure that the earlier model line would work, I will give them a call. The flares are not painted, they WERE a nice dark grey. Anybody paint these?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2mnycars wrote:
Nice gun.

I hear that a lot. rofl
2mnycars wrote:
Anybody paint these?

Check the link I posted- yeah you can use Krylon with varying degrees of success or the Forever Black stuff. Wink
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

That's the link to how to install Bushwackers on a '97-'01 XJ.

Good luck! Seems pretty straightforward, just watch the windshield fluid reservoir. It's right in line with where you might have to trim, and it's easy to nick it open and leak fluid everywhere (believe me, I found out the hard way, 'cuz I had to pick up some sealant to repair it with... Evil or Very Mad ).

2mnycars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all. Just in case anyone was remotely curious, I will go the route of the Forever Black since the Bushwacker is more radical than I want to go. Although it would be pretty cool. This is the current prefered vehicle for the wife and well, you know, I'll stick with the dye.

I am very impressed with the solutions I have received for problems from this site. I hope I can be of help to someone sometime! Again, thanks for your time and knowledge. One more small question, is 4 oz of this stuff enough to do all 4 flares and the plasitc strips on the sides?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: