Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Really poor fuel mileage. 2000 Cherokee Limited

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: injectors Reply with quote

check your fuel injectors, my 1st inj was leaking due to bad o rings, replaced them, and messed up while torquing the rail back down, had to get a new manifold, now i gotta wait till i get a new thermostat housing till i can start the truck again, to see if i fixed my fuel inj leak. i'll be sure to let ya know. I was getting around 200 mpT and it sucked payin 40 dollars for 200 miles. I know i was leaking a lot so hopefully i'll see better mileage. I also just did a complete tune up on it so we'll see.
93 XJ 4x4 - Winter Beater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Results from trip... Reply with quote

Well, got back from the road trrip and calculated mileage since replacing plugs and the results are as follows:

2000 Jeep Cherokee 4 door Limited, auto trans, factory towing package, stock sized 16" tires and stock engine.
Tank 1 all city driving, 306/14.76 mpg
T 2 403.3 miles all highway at 70 + indicated/20.489 mpg
T 3 390.8 miles/18.957 mpg (approx 10-15 knot headwind and mountain driving)
T 4 410 miles/21.06 mpg (return leg 1)
T 5 404.8 miles/19.724 mpg
T 6 314.5miles/20.329 mpg (about 20 miles of city driving back home before filling)

Aggregate total: 2229.6 miles/116.533 gal. gas/19.13 mpg (includes the 1 tank used in city driving only.
Total w/o city driving: 1923.4 miles/20.07 mpg.

All highway was on cruise control at 70-72 indicated mph.
About 3-3.5 oz of acetone added for cleaning benefit and to test for possible increase in mpg.
All tank filling was to the point of fuel pooling in filler neck.

It would seem that the Cherokee is maxed out at about 20 to 21 mpg in cruise. I probably would have increased mpg by reducing speed a bit to 63-65 but decided to make a bit better time. I am surprised that the rig didn't get a few mpg better. I had expected to get at least 23-24 mpg. The vehicle ran strong but I have not really been able to detect any improvement "seat of the pants" in performance since changing plugs. The miles per tank in city driving is nearly 30% better than before at 300+ miles from 200-220. Again, I filled the fuel tank to the point of fuel pooling in the filler neck and it staying there.

I can't say the acetone helped the mpg but it didnt seem to hurt it and probably had a cleaning effect on the injectors but was added in very small concentrations of about 3-3.5 oz. per 20 gallons of fuel.

The vehicle needed no oil added and tempeture was steady at just shy of 210 indicated as it always is. The injectors do not appear to be leaking at the fuel rail at all...

If anyone has any suggestions or idea's to eke out a few more mpg please post I sure would appreciate the tips. Thanks for the tip's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: gas mileage Reply with quote

What you listed is pretty close to what I see in highway driving. I've tried acetone also, the biggest benefit I see with it is a smooth running engine. I figure this is the cleaning effect of the acetone. I don't think you'll be able to pull more MPG's without driving at a lower RPM. It seems 45-55 mph on a flat road would give the best results. This was an interesting test you did.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: