Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skyjacker 4" Long arm?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donzrubi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Skyjacker 4" Long arm? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to purchase a lift! Very Happy Thanks to uncle sam giving me some of my money back!( Finger ) I was just wondering if anyone has heard any pros or cons about the Skyjacker 4" Long arm? Any imput would be appreciated! Thanks
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it from your name that this is for a rubicon?

I don't have experience with their long arm kit, but their short arm kit is so-so.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:

I don't have experience with their long arm kit, but their short arm kit is so-so.

The LA aren't that great either. Heims ride like crap on a DD and the SJ stuff has a tendency to rip off brackets. Look into something else....RE 4.5" LA, Full Traction, or Nth Degree.
donzrubi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to lift my Rubicon once, so I don't want a half-as* kit! I hate doing things twice! In your opinion what is the best kit out there? Keeping in mind it's a DD and I want a Long arm! R.E.????
donzrubi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

The LA aren't that great either. Heims ride like crap on a DD and the SJ stuff has a tendency to rip off brackets. Look into something else....RE 4.5" LA, Full Traction, or Nth Degree.

What brackets have problems?? Shocked
I here so many opinions shock I don't know what to buy!
shotgun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the skyjacker is a quasi longarm. only the lower arms are longer. I know one guy who nearly lost his jeep twice after the lower control arm subframe became unbolted on the highway. 2 out of 3 of his bolts backed out with red locktite on them. I can't tell you what your rig would ride like as this guys swapped 60's with custom perches and trussing, and he was running 44's. I have had the pleasure of riding in several RE longarms kits and thought the ride was better than stock. The LJ longarm was soooooo sweet.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donzrubi wrote:
Keeping in mind it's a DD and I want a Long arm! R.E.????

Why? There is more to it that just slapping on a LA kit. At the height were LAs are required, you've got a lot of stuff to deal with. My suggestion is to locate a busier forum (Try jeepsunlimited.com) and do a lot of searching and reading to learn. From what you've written so far, I don't get the feeling that you know what you're getting yourself in to.
donzrubi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

I know that there's going to have to be some mods made to do the LA, I like to think I'm not totally ignorant. Let me know if there's more to it than I think!
*CV Driveshaft
*Most likely a new cat back exhaust
*Removal of factory lower control arm mounts
*Brake lines
*Steering mods
*Shocks ect.
I think I have a good idea of what to expect from this adventure but let me know if I'm wrong, after all this is my first jeep! I'm a Muscle car freak, I have 3 now that I've fully restored and a garage full of equip. & tools! I just want to go into this adventure with the least amount of surprises possible and not be dissapointed with the kit I purchased!Let me know of anything to watch out for, or anything I'm forgeting! Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

donzrubi wrote:
I know that there's going to have to be some mods made to do the LA, I like to think I'm not totally ignorant. Let me know if there's more to it than I think!
*CV Driveshaft
*Most likely a new cat back exhaust
*Removal of factory lower control arm mounts
*Brake lines
*Steering mods
*Shocks ect.
I think I have a good idea of what to expect from this adventure but let me know if I'm wrong, after all this is my first jeep! I'm a Muscle car freak, I have 3 now that I've fully restored and a garage full of equip. & tools! I just want to go into this adventure with the least amount of surprises possible and not be dissapointed with the kit I purchased!Let me know of anything to watch out for, or anything I'm forgeting! Thanks

That's actually a pretty good listing....

You still haven't answer why you need a long arm kit. What size tires do you want to run? What do you plan on using the vehicle for? How much on-road time do you see yourself using it for? The answer to all those questions will change the answer to the best LA kit for you.
donzrubi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Response to questions Reply with quote

Well..... I do drive the jeep everyday, but my work is only about 5-7 miles away and I drive a company vehicle from there.

* I live in IL. so obviously Rock climbing is not realisticaly going to happen very often! I love trail riding, mudding ,climbing.... there's a couple offroad parks around that I plan on frequenting( got a couple buddys that have monster toyotas)

*I plan on running 305/70/R16 tires MTRs

*I'm not sure I absoulty NEED a long arm but I don't want to wish I would of went with one after investing $$$$$ in a short arm kit? Maybe I don't need one .........let me know what you think!

*I've been looking into the Full traction stuff per your recomendation, what do you think of their Ultimate 4" short arm kit?

*Hey... thanks for your time and info, sorry for all the questions but this is sorta new to me(I've got the jeep fever) I'm very familiar with car mods and have learned some valuable lessons through the years and I'm trying to avoid having to do anything twice or wasting $$$ on my Jeep! So THANKS!
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Response to questions Reply with quote

donzrubi wrote:
Well..... I do drive the jeep everyday, but my work is only about 5-7 miles away and I drive a company vehicle from there.

* I live in IL. so obviously Rock climbing is not realisticaly going to happen very often! I love trail riding, mudding ,climbing.... there's a couple offroad parks around that I plan on frequenting( got a couple buddys that have monster toyotas)

*I plan on running 305/70/R16 tires MTRs

*I'm not sure I absoulty NEED a long arm but I don't want to wish I would of went with one after investing $$$$$ in a short arm kit? Maybe I don't need one .........let me know what you think!

*I've been looking into the Full traction stuff per your recomendation, what do you think of their Ultimate 4" short arm kit?

*Hey... thanks for your time and info, sorry for all the questions but this is sorta new to me(I've got the jeep fever) I'm very familiar with car mods and have learned some valuable lessons through the years and I'm trying to avoid having to do anything twice or wasting $$$ on my Jeep! So THANKS!

From the described use, I really don't think the expense and work involved in a LA setup is needed. The tires you're looking to run are equivalent to a 33x12.5. You can easily run this on a 3" suspension/1" body lift combo or 4" suspension. I prefer the 3"/1" combo to keep the center of gravity a bit lower and keep the control arms at a more parallel angle with the ground for a better ride. I, myself, run this setup with 35x12.5s so you do have room to expand. It is not the smoothest ride but given it is a lifted, short wheelbase vehicle, it rides decent. Five to seven miles won't be a bear on a lifted short arm Wrangler. You can make it ride better or worse depending on your shock selection.

For those times you do get offroad, the short arms will work well with that lift height. In addition, you won't have these arms hanging down to rob you of valuable under belly clearance.

If you'd like to see some pics of my Jeep working...check this thread.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6764
Most of them were when I were on 33s. The most recent pics at the very bottom, are with the 35s. A couple months ago, you could have asked me if I wanted long arms, and I would have said hell yeah. After getting out twice recently with my current setup, I don't want them. Lots of clearance with my short arms and good articulation. You need to be aware of their limitations. Above 4" of lift....you should be looking at long arms. With your desired tire size, you don't need to venture there.

I don't know a lot of people with the Ultimate 4" Short Arm kit from Full Traction. Those that I can remember installing the kit were pleased with it. What's nice is it replaces all the arms with aftermarket ones that are adjustable and use a flexible joint as opposed to all poly bushings. These two features will greatly increase the amount of suspension tweaking you can do and help avoid binding bushings and bending/breaking control arm brackets.
donzrubi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Shocks??? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info...... your jeep looks tough! I think I will take your advice and stick w/ the short arm save some $$ for other accessorys.

Do you know much about shocks? Say I go with the 4" short arm F.T. kit what kind of shocks would you go with? And will i still need a cv drive shaft on my rubicon?(03') If so who makes a decent one?
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shocks??? Reply with quote

donzrubi wrote:
Thanks for all the info...... your jeep looks tough! I think I will take your advice and stick w/ the short arm save some $$ for other accessorys.

Do you know much about shocks? Say I go with the 4" short arm F.T. kit what kind of shocks would you go with? And will i still need a cv drive shaft on my rubicon?(03') If so who makes a decent one?

I think the FT Ultimate 4" kit comes with shocks...but don't quote me on that. My suggestion would be to spend some money on a quality shock. The OME Long Travels are good. Others have expressed their approval of the Rubicon Express Mono-tubes, Bilsteins 5100s, Rancho 9000s (the adjustables), among others.

Yes, you will likely still need the double cardan driveshaft. In fact, if I were you, I would count on needing the shaft and if you don't, you have $300 bucks leftover.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FT ultimate kit does not come with shocks. It also requires modification to the exhaust to make room for the triangulated link bar and truss on the rear axle.

IMO, OME's or Blisteins are probably the best "bang for the buck" shocks you get for a lifted Jeep. I've also heard good things about the Edelbrock Xtreme's.

Ditto on the new driveshaft. Tom Woods is always a good choice for CV conversions...but a little pricey.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: