Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

300 watt inverter installed in XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: 300 watt inverter installed in XJ Reply with quote

Another project I needed to do before I hooked up the laptop was to run power into my cab that could handle it. I picked up a 300 watt power inverter, but the wiring was way too short to reach the battery, which was where I wanted a direct connection. I decided to pick up 12-gauge wire in black and red and a few connectors, and got right to work.

First thing I did was cut the two power clips off of the end of the power cable supplied with the inverter, strip the end clean, and crimp it into the yellow wire connectors (keeping in mind which one was red and which one was black). I then measured plenty of length off of the 12-gauge spools to attach up to the battery. I already had a hole drilled into the firewall from previous fog lamps, so I ran the wires around the back of the engine compartment and through the hole. Inside the cab, I stripped and crimped the wires to the power cable and ran them behind the dashboard console. I then went back to the engine compartment and disconnected the negative terminal. I crimped and attached the red wire to an eyelet, then unscrewed the battery nut, added the eyelet, and tightened down the nut to it. I did the same with the black wire to the negative terminal, then reattached the negative cable to the battery.

Ok, moment of truth. I plugged in the inverter and turned it on. Success!!! I now have true power off the battery to run my Tablet completely. I will still need to be careful to not leave the Tablet on for long periods of time, or the inverter, which has an on/off switch. I still need to hard-mount the inverter to the place where my scanner had been, but all-in-all it was an easy mod.

Great stuff!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: