Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird front end knocking noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Weird front end knocking noise Reply with quote

Ok i have a 98 XJ. After disengaging 4wd sometimes i hear a weird knocking type noise from the front left. It almost sounds likes its coming from the tire/hub area. What do you guys think it might be? A bad u-joint? a failing hub, not wanting to un-lock? i just got this jeep its the freaken best thing ever for offroading(even with stock tires) the guy who had it before me was an older guy in his 70's that only flat towed the thing behind his RV. so i suspect some of the vibration is weird tire wear, but i dont know what the knocking is.

Any help here would be sweet. Have a great day guys, enjoy the wheelin
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a axle u-joint. Park on flat ground and see see if the u-joint is loose by wiggling it. It's in the steering knuckle.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could also be ball joints, and if your sure its in the hub it could be a wheel bearing
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i talked to my buddy who is a mechanic, and he said it shouldn't be the ball joints. But i dont know, you think a bad bearing would cause a knocking noise like that? Im open to anything, i just wanna get it fixed,
before i go offroading and break some stuff. Are u-joints expensive?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ujoints at the part store are like 20 bucks, but you can get better ones for more money

my jeep made a clicking popping noise and it was my wheel bearing

easy check is jack the front end up and grab the front tire at 12 and 6 and shake it if it moves ball joints are going bad, grab it at 3 and 9 oclock and thats the check for wheel bearing

now thats a easy check and you could have no movement and still have bad ball joints or wheel bearing
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best way to determine the problem. Do like 1fox2go said and if you don't get any movement look behind the wheel while the JEEP is up and spin the tire. Look for excessive grease around ball joints or torn rubber. If you need u-joints get the greasables. Hub assemblies run about $100. Hope you find the problem.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hub assembly's have gone up...look forward to about 140 Rolling Eyes
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL I'M STIL GETTING THIS NOISE AND I HAVENT FIGURED OUT WHAT IS. I HAVE NOTICED IT HAPPENS MORE OFTEN AFTER 4LO IS ENGAGED, OR AFTER A BIG DIP IN THE TRAIL. I WONDER IF IT IS A RETAINING CLIP ON THE BRAKE PAD? OR IF ITS PINION RELATED. IT MORE OR LESS IS JUST AN ANNOYING NOISE, AND IT HASNT AFFECTED OFFROAD PERFORMANCE(THAT I KNOW OF) BUT I DID HEAR A NOT SO GOOD NOISE AFTER TRYING TO MAKE A HILL CLIMB NOT GETTING GRIP AND ROLLING BACKWARDS WHILE STILL IN DRIVE....CANT BE GOOD RIGHT?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: