Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking into buying a rebuildable jeep please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Looking into buying a rebuildable jeep please help Reply with quote

OK, im looking to buy a 2001 xj sport with 95k on it, it was in a wreck and has front left damage, it was totaled by the insurance company and is now going for 1800$ the running gear seems to be in good shape, but the stabaliser or what i beleive to be the stabaliser looks to be slightly bent. it runs close to the bumper, ( which will need to be replaced.) will that affect the driveability of the car... also the tranny line was cracked along with the radiator, the head light harness will nedd to be replaced also along with the front qtr pannel.... its in great shape other wise but im new to buying wrecks, i own a 89 xj with 177k on it so im looking to up grade. The final thing that will be the most expensive is the air bags, they diployed during the wreck and ive heard will cost about 1500. is it worth it or am i in over my head, ne chance you guys can give me a ball park of what all this will cost? thanks in advance for the help, i duno what i would be into if it wasnt for u guys .....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there, im really new to the forum, but have had my hands in or on just about any auto between here (Spokane WA) and there (take your pick, London England or Okinawa Japan), anyhow.

I tend to be flat @ss broke, all the time. I have a low paying job, and a family. And we love out vehicles. In Japan it was the twin turbo GTO (300GT VR4) and the SR20DET 180 SX, in England a Mini and an Evo. As you can imagine, repairs for those vehicles were fairly expensive. I learned some pretty cool tips for low cost repairs along the way. (is this a good time to say Im a gib fan of the "Budget Boost"?)

Something I have done in the past, as far as your bag is concerned, disconnect the electronics on it, and replace the steering wheel with a Grant (from Kragen/Schucks/Checker) for like $50. IF that is, you dont want the air bags re-armed. If you do, then yes that can be very pricy. BUT! there is always a BUT, it just normally stinks. You can sometimes find, "loaded" steering wheels (air bags intact) on E-bay. Just pay attention to what you are buying and follow the repair procedures to the T when you install it.

Without pics, it sounds to me like your stabilizer trouble may just be where it mounts up to the vehicle. If so, a quick bend-it-back should do it. Depending on the exact boo-boo, you may choose to heat up the bracket to ease bending it. This is assuming that the frame is stillstraight. If its tweeked, well, you could have a pretty nice off-roader! Anyhow, if this is way off base I do apologize. Hopefully it helps you out some though. If you have any other questions, please feel free to IM me or post here, ill stick it in my watched threads.
I am looking for a front bumper for my '99 Grand Cherokee. I'm looking for round fog lights. If you know where I can get my hands on one please e-mail me at
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: