Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stock intake mods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuer895

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: stock intake mods Reply with quote

Hi i was wondering does anyone have any guides on what to shop on the stock intake for a 90 Xj. I recently put in a K&N filter and would like to notice more difference is there any guide i should go about cutting the stock air box up or shouldi just chop the whole front up so its a big hole or what?? I usually just mud most of the time so i didnt go for a cold air intake system.
Any suggestions?
Mopar500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site. Lots of tips for mods.
www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a K&N cone filter on my XJ. I simply removed that huge box, left the elephant trunk looking hose coming from the intake, used a large hose clamp to hold the cone filter in place.....this also gave me room for a second battery where the box was.

If want better performance, the best thing in my opinion is GEARS! Replace those 3.55 gears with a 4.11........when you hit the gas.....you will know it!

I also put an affortable lock right locker in the rear.......not as strong as a Detroit locker.......but I have had no problems (4 years of on & off road driving)
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that if you mud and water intake alot then you should keep the stock airbox and just modify it. I don't mud that often well not enough to come over my hood. I have a RUSTY'S intake tube that attaches to that rubber boot trunk and a large cone K&N filter, along with a Rusty's TB spacer and notice a heck of a difference. Verdict is still out on mpg increase or not and some guys on here say the TB spacer is null so take this with a grain of sand. But if nothing at least with the K&N filter I got quicker and smoother throttle response, so? Good luck!
feuer895

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i was meaning was did anyone know of how I should open up my stock airbox such as what part should i cut like make a bigger whole in the front or cut open the side but thanks for all the other advice. I should have refrased the question differently.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want more air into the engine? If so then even if you cut a big ol hol ein the stock box it still has to pass thru the type of filter you have and if it's just a drop in K&N same model as stock, then....If you want to raise the intake level then scrap the box and go with a good size K&N cone filter. Just keep it clean if you mud alot. I have seen the chrome tube and filter around $50 on e-bay, just search parts, air intake, jeep cherokee. But some have cheap filters so be careful. As for cuttin a hole in the stoxk box I have heard mods done for like I said underwater and mud protection but you wont get much performance gain by staying in that stock box. K&N also makes a cold air deal with like a heat sheild but is over 200 bones, so.... Good luck.
MachineMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Rusty's intake and the performance increase was minimal. I don't have one but I've only heard good things about boring the throttle body. Intake mod's for pre '91 XJ's aren't as plentiful.

Rusty's intake and vacuum lines install write up.
http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=16
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: