Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need 97 XJ suspension upgrade opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XJ_Austin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Need 97 XJ suspension upgrade opinions Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a stock 97 XJ Sport w/ 235/75R15 BFG AT's. I need to replace my stock shocks as they are worn out. While I'm at it I'd like to lift the suspension 3" so I can get some 31's on it. I want to keep this cheap but not crap. I was thinking Pro Comp's ES3000's and I found a 3" suspension lift on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-suspension-lift-for-84-01-Jeep-Cherokee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQitemZ8044039021QQrdZ1

look like a ? idea? I can just do the shocks for now and save up for a "real" lift but thought I would dig for opinions.

I have read through the other posts and found valuable info. I think I'd just like an opinion on this particular lift if possible.

Thanks.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are a bad idea IMO. Those shocks are extremely stiff and will ride like crap. 3" is too much for a spacer lift. You'll over compress your coils without properly lengthening your bump stops.
shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of these would be a better option. http://www.store.yahoo.com/collinsbros/8400xjcherokee.html

Although I know this is a rough country lift. I liked dealing with Collins Brothers Jeep. They were upfront with me about where they got the lift and answered all my questions. I bought the 3" with add-a-leafs over a year ago. Did I get what I paid for? Yes. Am I statisfied with it? Yes. Are there things I don't like about it? Yes.

My rear was saggin before the AAL and it's saggy now. The front springs felt spongy at first, but have developed a nice comfortable ride. Thinking back to the install I remember, I hate wheel locks I don't have the key for. The install was easy and minus the wheel locks, the lift was completed Thanksgiving day with time to watch a game.

I would recommend buying the 3" kit Black Mountain / Collins Brothers / Rough Country kit to my freinds.
XJ_Austin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: re: suspension upgrade opinion Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I'm getting the picture about the spacers and am going to just stay clear of them and get a real suspension lift later.

I've heard the ES3000 shocks are too stiff. Rancho 9000's maybe?
shotgun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too stiff depnds on you, I have es3000's on my yj, there not bad. And considering 4wheelparts normally has them in stock locally, there easy to get. I foget who makes what shock, but Ranchos are Monroe. I think ProComp, Rough Country and some body else are the same too.

Just keep Austin Weird and I'll stay safe here in SA.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgun wrote:
Too stiff depnds on you, I have es3000's on my yj, there not bad.

You drive a YJ. You're not entitled to make comments on a bad ride.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
shotgun wrote:
Too stiff depnds on you, I have es3000's on my yj, there not bad.

You drive a YJ. You're not entitled to make comments on a bad ride.

rofl

I've heard good things about the Rancho 9000's....they are fairly expensive though.

If you are going to hold off on getting a lift, why spend the money on expensive shocks now, just to have to replace them later when you lift? I'd just go with some stock Monroes or Gabriels for the time being.

My $0.02

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XJ_Austin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Decided on a lift Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! Very Happy After seeing that for the price of new shocks and a budget boost I could get a 3" lift w/ springs, add-a-leafs and shocks for a nice price. I'm comparing Rusty's 3" lift to the Collin's Brothers now.

I'm just trying to keep Austin Texas, weird is no longer weird when it's a logo. Thanks ya'll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: