Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunch O' basic questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Bunch O' basic questions Reply with quote

These are just the little things that are bugging me. I can live with them but I would like to fix them if I could. I am looking for any input I can get.

1. The speedometer needle is jumping everywhere. I thought the cable needed lube but then found out that its a cableless system with a sensor. So I suppose it's either the speed sensor or the gauge. I was told that if other things are going wrong (like the trandmission shift points) it's probably the sensor. If it's just the speedo acting up, it's probably the gauge. Since the speedo readings are the only things going wrong I am guessing I need a new gauge. Is it a big deal to replace the gauge? How long should it take?

2. I think I have a noisy lifter. The engine sounds a bit like a diesel. Any ideas on what it could be or how to fix?

3. The blower motor sounds kind of noisy to me. Being a new owner I am not sure what is normal and what is not. I guess I am used to just an air sound being made. On my Cherokee, the blower sounds a bit like a household room fan on high. My thought was perhaps a bearing is going in the blower motor.

Thanks for any help.
It's Beer! Hooray Beer!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Maybe check the ground on the instrument panel??? I reallly dont' know on that one.

2. Both my cherokees sound kinda diesely. Kind of a rattling sound. I do have one that taps at idle which I think is a sticky lifter. this sound is a louder tapping sound that increases with engine speed. Not sure what to do about the problem myself but I don't think that this is the problem you are describing. What you have sounds like normal operation to me.

3. Are you talking about the AC fan or the engine fan? The mechanical engine fan could just have a loose bolt, be out of balance, hitting something or a dent from a collision with a rock etc. The AC fan on the other hand is more likely to be blocked with something. Its not that difficult to take it out and clean the fan. Otherwise a rattling sound is a sign of emminent failure in most electric motors. This would go for both the electric engine fan and the AC fan.

Hope this helps
'96 4.0 4x4 XJ
with some lame highway tires

'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
with lots of BODY CARNAGE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the sensor and gauge isn't thatr difficult if you have some mechanical abilities...if in fact that is your problem and not a bad gauge. But I'm guessing the sensor since you said that's only issue right now. Check e-bay or Google jeep speedo I guess for prices and dealers. As for the tapping noise I HATE to be the first to ask this but....HAHA YOU DO check your oil level frequently right??? Jeeps are notorious for eating oil and I have a '91 with almost 300k and she goes through about 3/4 to a quart between changes if I'm driving it hard alot, less if she's babied. And around the 2500mile mark I hear that tappin or tickin and know before I blow a vavle or lifter I need to replace oil or add. Mine will especially make this sound if it is cold and first starting up. Try going to synthetic if it's under 100k or maybe castrol GTX 20/50 or a high mileage motor oil. If you still have the sound then maybe it is a stuck lifter but have never heard about that on my 2 xj's or from friends, so dunno there. As far as it sounding like a diesel, JEEZ they have a slight tap until warmed up but a DIESEL?! haha Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: