Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop leak?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingjustin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Stop leak? Reply with quote

I flushed out my rad a few days back and now it leaks like crazy... to point that I'm having to add coolant every time I drive. I think it's leaking from somewhere around the head gasket, but there's also wet spots on the pavement near the back/middle of the jeep. Any ideas?

I thought about using a stop leak solution. Has anyone tried that?
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

hello I assume you took the hoses off the radiator to allow for a complete flush of the system? If so, did you tighten them back up correctly? Maybe a new hose clamp is in order? Another thing to check is your water pump. make sure its not leaking down the lower radiator hose. Did you close the drain valve on the radiator? Tighten the cap correctly. Check around your heater core, when they get old, they become britle and break easily, $16 part at auto store. This is located near the back pass side of the engine bay. Aside from that I can tell you I recently replaced my thermostat housing, because while torquing it down I heard what I thought was a crack and when i cranked over the truck, sure enough there was coolant spraying everywhere. So i did the above, checked all possible coolant locations and fixed the housing. So try starting the truck, and look around every area the coolant goes and try to pinpoint the leak.
kingjustin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main problem is how dirty the engine is ) : I've just been too lazy too clean out from under it, but it's leaking way too much to be a pinpoint leak.
Tarakian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is against the stop leak stuff. I am just concerned that it will get gummed up in the small passages in the cooling system. I think you should go look at the jeep while its idling, or if it won't leak then, right after you have driven it awhile., then you should be able to find the leak

86 XJ 2.5L, 5spd, just got it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: