Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to a newer XJ, what model should I look for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to a newer XJ, what model should I look for? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have most of the parts on the way to get my '87 XJ all cleaned up. But, it is pretty ugly, and I am going to need something that my two year old can ride around in from time to time. So, I was thinking of starting over with a newer model XJ. I remember I had a really hard time finding engine bolt-ons for the 87 and 88 models.
So, is there a big difference in the newer models?
Is there any particular series of years that would be good to look for?
What about computer stuff? I have not messed with them at all. What's the difference in the OBDI and OBDII systems?
I want to be able to grab a TB spacer or cold air kit with ease. And Im lookin to spend enough to get me just about any model XJ. so,
what years should I look for?

thanks for the input.

Grass

Last edited by GrassNinja on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
badger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like anything above 95.it was the last year for OBDI after that it was OBDII and the computer controlled more then i like it to.engine mods get harder ,some parts are not avialible for the later years.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, 92-99 is the sweet spot...mainly because of the high pinion, non-disconnect front axle. As was stated above, the switch was made to OBDII in 96 to comply with federal regs. While the OBDII computer does control more of the engine subsystems and overall function, the flip side is that the stock 4.0L makes more torque at lower RPM on 96+ OBDII models...you can thank the ECU mapping for that. OBDII also has 3 times the diagnostic capabilities of OBDI.

...and before I get flamed for promoting OBDII: I'll be the first to say I dislike computers in vehicles. They are a neccesary evil that I have learned to get along with since they are not going anywhere. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the honest input guys. Im lookin at a 98 right now. So, I guess its OBDII and a whole new world for me. Well see
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go with the 98 you wont be disappointed. I just recently acquired a 98 Cherokee Classic with the NV-242 and i love it. Came from the factory with front and rear tow hitches(easy extraction points Smile ) you won't be upset with the purchase, you might not have the D44 that the older 87-89 models have, but you will for sure get the Chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines and posi. Have fun man keep us posted
shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the 9x-95 crowd. Classic body lines, MPI fuel injection. Can't go wrong with that. I appreciate the sheet metal update, but I don't like it nor to I have too.
GrassNinja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol so Im stuck. The guy with the 98 isnt available today, will have to do it later. But I see a 96 in the paper, 4.0L HO, 31's 3" lift, clean paint, red and black, black steel AR rims, and a stereo. He only wants 3500. But it doesnt say what tranny or how manny miles. And no answer on the phone. ahhhh. lll

Ill keep ya'll posted
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: