Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new owner needs help from the experts about lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amosp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: new owner needs help from the experts about lift Reply with quote

This is my first time posting. I bought a 94 Cherokee about a month ago. I am wanting to put a small (2 inch) lift on it. I am not going to be doing any hard offroading. I will be driving it almost everyday. I have looked at the 2inch spacers for the front. The rear is where I am having trouble deciding. I have found 2 inch blocks, add a leafs and shackles that will give 2 inches. I have looked around this forum a bit.
What should I get? Like I said, I am not going to be doing any hard stuff. With blocks, will I have to shim it? As for as AAL's, I have read some negatives about them as far as sagging. If a shackle can give me 2 inches of lift, it seems it ould have to be a long one. How will that affect the ride? I have seen S10 leaf springs mentioned. What are they used for? What year model S10?
This is my first Cherokee, so Ineed you experienced guys to help me. I have read the horror stories about changing shocks and I am not looking forward to that. I can't spend a lot of money either. I have one of those wives that does not see the "need" in stuff like this.
I really appreciate any help.
Oh yeah, this a great forum. I have already found out a lot.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the "budget boost" methods in the rear is very ideal. They each have their drawbacks and advantages.

Blocks will give you the lift and will maintain the stock ride. On the other hand, they lead to axle wrap (the leaf spring twisting into a sideways 'S'). Generally speaking, they are bad idea all around, especially 2" ones,

AAL's will give you the lift, but can make the ride harsh and they will sag eventually.

Shackles generally are 1 7/8" longer than stock. will give you the lift and maintain the stock ride, but the added extension causes the spring to articulate/flex more and thus wear out quicker...especially offroad.

I would say go with a shackle. Mainly because, unlike the other options, you can incorporate it into later lifts.

S10 springs will, on average, give you 3" of lift. There are others on this board who have done it so I'll defer to their expertise.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RockOn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine used the spacers in the fron & shackles in the rear.....
over all it was a fine deal
he used shock spacers
then got longer steel braded brake lines

later noticed that his rear leafs had started cracking! (the main one)

my lift came with a full length leaf, & a 1"block (took the sag out & gave me 5")

so just keep an eye on them & replace them ASAP if they start cracking

I personally would go with shackles for the ride quality

add a leaf ( full length)....get some off another XJ from the junk yard
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: