Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyless Entry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtymer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Keyless Entry Reply with quote

I bought a used 96 GC Laredo and it has auto locks. There is a red flashing light on my dash just in front of my cluster. I'm not sure what to look for to see if I have this option. I was just wondering if this year and model came with a keyless remote option. I was thinking about buying one off of eBay and wanted to check here first.
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question I'd have is did the previous owner have the remotes when he got it? If he did and it failed on him over time then you have your answer. You can run it up to a stealership and they should have a coder that can sense keyless entry signals (ours here in Richmond does). You also might have to check the "build sheet" that came with the ZJ when it was new, probably hidden in the glove box or something. That would keep you from wasting a trip to the dealers.

If you do find out you have keyless entry, make sure whatever remote you get is "learnable", otherwise the stealership would still have to program it for you. I know with the XJs there is a method of holding down the door lock/unlock button for 10 secs (I think) that allows the unit to clear out and relearn whatever code your Jeep is using, but that might involve popping out the battery and leaving it out awhile. I don't know what the ZJ remotes do, but I don't think it'd be that much different.

Good luck!

bigtymer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Price Information sticker. It says I have "Keyless Entry with Panic Button" under standard equipment. Then under Laredo Package #26F it says *Vehicle Theft Security System. Does anyone now were I can get a remote that will oberate both, besides ebay or the dealership.?
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are one in the same. All you need is a factory remote and you're good to go.

acgatela78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: keyless remote help Reply with quote

bigtymer wrote:
I found the Price Information sticker. It says I have "Keyless Entry with Panic Button" under standard equipment. Then under Laredo Package #26F it says *Vehicle Theft Security System. Does anyone now were I can get a remote that will oberate both, besides ebay or the dealership.?

were you able to buy a remote key and able to use it without taking it to the dealership and have it programmed? I also have a 96 JGC Laredo and planning to buy a remote key but I'm worried that I have to take it to the dealership to program the remote and pay a lot of $$$. I found a procedure in programming the remote but I think it only works for jeeps 95 and earlier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: