Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New and need help with the 93-97 cherokees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandrager

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: New and need help with the 93-97 cherokees Reply with quote

Hi ,
I am new but have had a yj for almost 10 years. I am looking into getting a used grand cherokee 93-97, So I am looking on how dependable the 5.2 is compared to the bullet proof in line 6 (4.0) Do you think or does anyone have there 5.2's above 200,000 miles like most I6 4.0 will last.

Also the grand cherokee's first year was 93 right ? please list the differnent engines for the different years. Is there a V6 or all the 6 cyclinders are the I6's?

For V8's I believe it is just 5.2 and 5.9, I believe the 5.9 started in 97 and 4.7 was in 99

Please help me out trying to make a decision of what to buy

Thanks much
Sandrager
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a grand your only options where 5.2, 5.9 and 4.0

The 5.9 is only available in 98 model.. And you are correct about the 99 being the first year of the 4.7

In 98 you could get a 5.2 , or a 5.9 V8.. The 5.9 has hood scoops and is imediatly noticable...

The 5.2 is a dodge 318 they have been makeing the same engine since 1964 and it is a very strong engine I have over 150,000 on my Jeep . All of it very hard Mr. Green

I am sure there are people out there with over 200,000 on their 5.2 but I dont know them.. rofl

But if you want a V8 the 5.2 is a good way to go.. plenty of upgrades and its pretty strong right off the line.. Mine is putting out over 350 HP and I have not spent more than $5000 on the engine..That includes ported and polished heads .. New Cam , Roller rockers , roller lifters, Chromolly push rods Deburred and ported intake , Bored throttle body, ummmmm.... Re ground valves ,oh yeah, And rebuilt tranny with red eagle bands and Power pack clutches and Transgo shift kit....... I am currently swapping my fuel rails for a set of 98 fuel rails . So I can use an inline fuel pressure regulator...

Its pretty easy to find parts for the engine if you are looking to beef it up..

Anyway... I guess I answered your question.. If you have any more questions feel free to ask..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5.2 with 95,000 miles on it and never had a problem with it. My cat went bad around 80,000 miles but from what I hear thats pretty normal. The only problem I have with the 5.2 is the np249 t-case that comes with it. I hate that thing. Can't wait to get an np231!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
sandrager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou for both your replies it is very much appreciated.

I would like more feedback from others also, more people please respond

BTW great forum
sand zj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the 318 (5.2). The 4.0 Lacks power for moving the larger body of the ZJ. I have had 318's with well over 500,000 miles on them (all highway from my trucking company). This is my favorite small block of all time, the only time I have ever had a mechanical issue not explained by abuse/neglect was intermitent low oil pressure. I have a 96 and 98% of my driving is in the hot sand dunes and this engine rips! The 360 is a good choice but rare and not quite as reliable as the 318.
I have a 4.0 in my wifes WJ and it is great for her, but lacks power for myself.[/img]
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4.0 and i can tell a noticeable difference in power it doesnt bother me much. If your goin to wheel it the 4.0 has plenty of low rpm torque to get your through pretty much anything.

Also the grand isnt much bigger than the cherokee either
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a 93 zj and it has 177,000 miles on it and it runs like a new vehicle other then a leaking tranny im gunna get fixed, but i cant find anythin major wrong with it Finger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: