Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Guys, have a radiator question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omega1300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Hey Guys, have a radiator question Reply with quote

Love this forum guys, everyone here is really knowledgeable, it's great. Anyway, I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/ the 4.0 liter, automatic, and towing package. My radiator started leaking the other day, and I need to replace it, but don't want to pay dealer prices. My question is this, the dealer said I needed one with "max cooling" but when I asked what the difference was between that one, and the regular one, they coulden't tell me. I assume it's heavier duty because of the towing package. So how do I know if I get a replacement radiator as good or better then the dealer's max cooling version? I found this one at radiator barn (A link in someone else's post):

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?ac=Y&year=1997&make=JEEP&model=CHEROKEE&submodel=ALL+MODELS&engine_size=L6%2C4.0L%2C242ci

and was looking at the heavy duty 3 row replacement. Would that be what I should be looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone knows of a radiator I should get!
Thanks guys!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between the standard and HD radiators. But both are plastic. I would call either them or radiators.com and tell them what you have. Not only will you get the right rad, but you've also get a better rad than the stock one...all for less than what the dealer will charge you.

Can't go wrong there. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omega1300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the reply! I'll check radiators.com as well. Do you have any idea if the one I linked would work? Is there a difference between plastic or metal? And do 3 rows cool better then 2?

Thanks again for your help!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal cools better than plastic and 3 rows will cool better than 2. I installed one last year. Before the install, my junk ran at around 210...now it runs at 195.

I don't know if the one linked will work, that why I suggest you call them. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely agree with Phantum on metal and 3 row, especially if u offroad and tow. I replaced mine with a HD extreme 3row aluminum and like his now run around 195-200. Just make sure your aux elec fan is working properly. There are different thermostats out there depending on your cooling desires, but would recommend you change this out with the new rad. I got mine off e-bay for $165 with shipping and dropped it in myself. I think the dealer was around $125 for the oem plastic 2row junk, so I think it's a steal. Just shop around. As far as the dealer not being able to tell u the diff...seems that's a common trait at dealerships nowadays..lol same thing here. If you don't tow much or offroad, I have seen the reg 2 row plastic for under $100 bucks if you're on a budget. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: