Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealing distributer cap????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Sealing distributer cap???? Reply with quote

I am amazed the distributer cap on a 94 YJ (2.5 lt) isen't sealed. I am new to jeeps, but not off roading. I was out today doing some mild mudding and water puddles, went through about the third puddle (all 3" to 6" deep) and the engine quits due to water in the distributer cap. How does one seal these things up?? Back in the old days while I was in the Canadian Army we had what we referd to as 67 Pattern jeeps (possibly CJ5's??) and you coulden't kill those things. I had them in water up to the intake and they never quit.
Cheers
Bear
badger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try slowing down and you won't have that problem.if you want to seal it just take so axle grease and press it into the lip of the cap.thats all it takes

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.links4jeeps.com/h2oproof.html
badger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seal your distributer cap with anything the dries to a hard or rubbery surface.

one you have to be able to get into the cap again at some point.if you use anything that dries it will cure your cap to the bottom housing.you run the risk of cracking the lower half if you ever try to seperate them.second the distributer cap creates heat with the creation of heat the air inside the cap expands .you run the risk of cracking the cap when this air has no way of getting out of the cap.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: