Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ione

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

Now for next item to add to the Jeep. I live in the country and can usually drive 20 miles on country roads, some gravel and some paved before meeting a car. I like to have lots of lights to see, we have lots of deer here. I even have a car with night vision to see them with. Dont get the wrong idea I am not a poacher. In our state it is agains the law to drive on roads with more lights on a vehicle but after all I can get away with it if I just turn them off when I see a car coming and in most cases I would know the other driver. My question is what kind of lights should I install. I am a little concerened about windshield mounted lighs as I have construction equipment that has so much glare with lights by the cab you could see better with lighting bugs. I also think lights really look neat on a jeep and I have lots of privite roads to travel on at night if I can see.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at my site (link in signature), see if you like where I mounted mine. I upgraded the OEM headlamps and mounted 4 light assemblies on the OEM bumper, I have ZERO vision problems at night.

You can use windshield mounted lights with gaurds that angle the glare away from the driver, but they kinda look stupid to me, I like the lights on the windshield...just not the light shields.

Here is a pic:

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking about getting some lighting upgrades. Can anyone recommend some good headlight replacements? Also, what would y'all recommend for driving/fog lights. Daylighters would be cool, but they might also be overkill. Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPF H4 housings with their Magic J bulbs. Night and day difference.
Ione

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the first modifacation I have come up with, I took out the metal baffel that sets in front of the stock 55 watt jeep fog light bulbs. I would guess the baffel was for diffusion but it also makes the light about half as bright as it is without it. It will be dark here in about one hour and I will try it. It was easy to remove.
Next question: I have one ford product, and one chrysler product (Jeep), both have driving/fog lights . Why do they have the fog lights only work on dim? Make no sense to me, who cares if you have more light when the brights are on? And they all do it.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ione wrote:
Well, the first modifacation I have come up with, I took out the metal baffel that sets in front of the stock 55 watt jeep fog light bulbs. I would guess the baffel was for diffusion but it also makes the light about half as bright as it is without it. It will be dark here in about one hour and I will try it. It was easy to remove.
Next question: I have one ford product, and one chrysler product (Jeep), both have driving/fog lights . Why do they have the fog lights only work on dim? Make no sense to me, who cares if you have more light when the brights are on? And they all do it.

It's a legal thing. Fog lights are supposed to turn off with hi-beams.
Ione

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Oregon and this is copy and pasted right out of their safe driving page of the Oregon State Police. "Fog Lights: A vehicle may be equipped with two fog lights. The lights may be white or amber. The beam must strike the road not more than 75 feet ahead of the vehicle on which it is mounted. These lights are illegal to have in operation at times when you are required to dim your headlights." I could interpret this to mean, if you was in fog you would have your head lights on dim, otherwise you could not see anything, and you fog lights on. Then upon meeting a car you would have to turn off your fog lights and leave you dims on. This would make sense but why the hell would the manufacture have them off when on high and on when on low. Hell you need two dimmer swithches LOL. Another way to read the law is Oregon Department of motor vehicles then search driving/fog lights. This just proves this blue state can screw up about everything.
Ione

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW when you take the little metal bracket from in front of the bulb it is much brighter.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also removed the baffle in the factory driving lights. Can't say that helped much though. But then I replaced the factory 55w with the PIAA 55w bulbs. That made a decent difference. I then replaced the standard headlights with the Silverstars. Another slightly helpful thing.

Friend of mine runs his KC's on his front brush guard. He works for BLM and is very often even more remote than you mentioned for days at a time. That seems to work well for him. I haven't found that need myself yet.

Wink
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too upgraded to the silverstar headlights, I noticed a big differance from the stock lights.
I also went and bought some Hella lights with the 55w bulbs, but I scraped the 55w for 100w bulbs. The illumanate objects about 1/4 mile ahead.

CAUTION! if you do this bulb change, you will blow the 20A fuse supplied with the light kit, I installed 30A fuse and have had no problems.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I too upgraded to the silverstar headlights, I noticed a big differance from the stock lights.
I also went and bought some Hella lights with the 55w bulbs, but I scraped the 55w for 100w bulbs. The illumanate objects about 1/4 mile ahead.

CAUTION! if you do this bulb change, you will blow the 20A fuse supplied with the light kit, I installed 30A fuse and have had no problems.

This makes me slightly nervous, are the electrical lines rated for 30A use or did upgrade the wiring while you were at it? Do me a favor, run your lights for awhile and grab the wires, see if their hot. Hate to see ya burn down a perfectly good Jeep Wink

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, I forgot to mention that I ran 10 gage wire from the batt. to the fuse and relay, the rest is the supplied Hella wire loom.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the IPF headlight replacement with the H4 bulb, like Eric said, night and day difference. I also have the IPF 968 driving lights (around $118.00) from DPGoffroad.com. These driving lights are simply amazing and almost to bright for a 55w bulb (IPF also supplies you with two spare 100w bulbs).

My Morning Jacket
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I like what I have read about the IPF lights, but are the magic J bulbs street legal?
Muckaneer #1
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckaneer wrote:
Thanks for the input. I like what I have read about the IPF lights, but are the magic J bulbs street legal?

Yup. The 55/60W bulbs are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: