Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jet chip and exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darenufee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: jet chip and exhaust Reply with quote

I'm looking to put a chip in my 04 4.0 tj. The one I see is the jet stage two. I'm turning the tj into a trail rig and want to remove as much of the factory exhaust as I can. Will the jet chip let me do away with the 2 small cats up front and one near the back for two high flow cats in straight pipes?
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no problems with that. In fact, the Stage 2 was made for vehicles with high-flow exhaust and aftermarket intake.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those JET chips are junk, don't bother wasting your money. If you need a custom tune due to head/cam changes, you would be better off contacting Hypertech and having them build you one or getting a stand alone system which you program youself (FAST/DFI/etc)...if you haven't made some serious motor changes, I'd leave it be...

You can go ahead and delete your cats and replace/move in high flow units, just be sure not to move them too far down stream in the exhaust, or you'll have to swap over to heated O2 sensors so you don't get a constant SES emissions light.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JETs aren't too bad. I've got the Stage 1 in my XJ. Considering I only paid $100 as opposed to $260 (or something) because I bought mine used. I could feel a lil' difference in performance.

KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
JETs aren't too bad.

Actually, yes...yes they are. I've seen dyno results of many JET stage II chips, all were the same, either they LOST HP or gained maybe 1RWHP. The only thing they actually did well was lower the coolant temperature, mostly due in part to 160 thermostats being used with their chips.

I've YET to see a single vehicle equiped with a cookie cutter JET/Hypertech chip gain more than 5RWHP. Frankly I find that pathetic. I fell for their "advertised gains" back in 1995...then I started racing competatively and using a lot of dyno time...I wised up real fast...

Sounds like you got a good deal on yours...so no real loss on your part, hell I'm the first that shouldn't throw stones, I have TB spacer (it was a gift) that is absolute junk (no real HP gains)...again no real loss on my part (free is always good). But there is NO WAY I'd ever pay more than $50.00 for a cookie cutter chip. Just trying to help save people their hard earned $$$ .

Of course, JMHO though Smile

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to start an argument, just sharing my experience. My chip is simply the Stage 1. I have no intake or exhaust hop-ups yet. I still have the stock 195 tstat also. All I know is I could feel a "seat of the pants" change in get-up-and-go.

Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same chip in my XJ (Stage I), and initially I thought I had a boost at the low end too. Unfortunately I doubt I ever got more than 1RWHP total after running it this long, and at $135 I could have put that money to better use, like reboring my TB or at the very least added it to a K&N filter or something.

At the very worst I didn't lose anything in HP, but the gains really weren't worth it for the cost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: