Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C Vacuum Hose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: A/C Vacuum Hose Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new here, well here's the problem. After looking under the hood of my dads 96 XJ for another problem (water pump) I found a hose just hanging there. I believe it goes to the air conditioning system, and could not find a routing diagram for it. You can see the hose with the elbow in this picture. Thanks for any help.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: hose Reply with quote

My cherokee is newer so isn't setup exactly like yours but your best bet is to see where it falls naturally and look for something that will reach. It may go to the valve that controls water to the heater core, it's near the firewall. If it feels like it is pulling a vacuum when the engine is running and you cannot find a place then cap it off for the time being. Someone on here should have one the same age. Might be good to attach a pic of where the other end attaches but it definetly looks like it would attach to an actuator of some sort.

Looking again, does it come from the firewall? If so you may not feel a vacuum coming from the hose, it may be the one that feeds the heater controls. There is a round ball behind the passenger side of the front bumper that feeds it but the hose doesn't look long enough. I do see on mine the one that goes through the firewall has a plastic hose which runs along the firewall to the drivers side. Sorry for dragging on, hope this helps.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 92 XJ; my "GUESS" is vacuum hose going to Solenoid of Speed Control on Passenger side Firewall up near battery.

I will check again on mine when I get home in a bit and see what I can deduce . . . ..

Good Luck!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of same area of my 92 XJ Hopefully you can figure out your missing cable?

Look at vacuum hose right above my Oil Dipstick handle? Grey with electrical tape on it. Goes to a switch of some sort controlling Heater/Coolant Hoses.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: hose Reply with quote

That was my first guess. My 99 does not have that valve so I couldn't be sure. I do remember removing my hose and plugging it on an older XJ because it would close the valve when shutting off the car. It would never reopen because the spring wasn't strong enough for it not to stick closed. Of course this gave 0 heat until manually opening it up. Maybe that's why yours is unplugged.

DanR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, but I just couldn't figure out where it goes. It might just hang around doing nothing, but I don't know much about Jeeps especially since it's not mine. That sensor on your 92 is differnt on mine and may just be a left over hose from a revision throughout the years, or might be for an option that this car doesn't have. It's just a plain Jane 4x4 Sport model and possibly one of the higher trim levels use that hose. Once again, thanks Smile
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: hose Reply with quote

With the Jeep running have someone move the controls on the heater. If you can feel a vacuum on the hose only when changing settings then it controls the water to the heater core. jppilot61's pic shows the diverter as metal colored right behind the dipstick. Yours is black plastic but in a similiar spot, it has a sticker on it. You can see it as a small canister to the left and slightly down near the dipstick. There are 3 hoses connecting to body of it, I would think it goes there as I don't see any vacuum hoses going to yours. The dipstick covers it up some in your picture. If all else fails plug it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: