Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Loud Roar when cold, when really warmed up runs quiet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane4188

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Engine Loud Roar when cold, when really warmed up runs quiet Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and they are absolutely awesome. I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with an Inline Six Cylinder engine, 4.0L, and all time 4 wheel drive. I have noticed in the past that when I drive the jeep and it is cold it is really loud in the engine compartment. By loud I mean just accelerating is just a Roaring Loud like it is running on nothing but air. When I get the thing out on the freeway and open it up real good for a long stretch, up to like 80mph the engine kind of kicks into a really nice running way. It sound like someone put a flowmaster on the thing at a high rate of speed. The roar is gone when I slow down and it runs with seemingly twice the power. After the jeep sits say overnight, it is unable to run the same nice way again and is back to the old roaring ways. I am curious about why it does not stay this good way for the whole driving time and why I have to get it really rolling to get this effect? Is there some sensor acting up. My main suspicion is that I have the timing wrong on the distributor, I mean I know I have it in the right order, but I am not sure if I have plug #1 in the right starting place. Does anyone have a similar jeep with this problem? Also could I ask for a picture of their distributor cap and the #1 plug location. I know you have to the the top dead center thing, but I am unsure of how to go about doing that. The jeep has been like this for many years, and runs exceptional always, but I have never heard a jeep quite this loud all the time. Thanks for any comments,

Shane
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, my 93 GC 5.7 liter does the exact same thing. I assumed this was normal. I think it is the fan clutch kicking in until the viscous crap in it heats up. It sounds real loud, then calms down. Mine has the same amount of power though, whether loud or not. I'm interested to see if this normal or not.
Shane4188

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a little better then. But is yours loud almost all the time until you really gun the crap out of it for about a 1/4 mile stretch, or is it just loud for the first 5 or so minutes of driving? I mean I really have to get it juiced to get it into "quiet mode".

PS. Thanks so much for replying!
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need too replace your fan clutch.
When it's very cold out mine sometimes does that.
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
raytech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of climate are you located in? It is definately your clutch fan. Until it warms up, it is pretty much locked solid, which is why it is so loud. Most clutch fans I have seen are larger than solid fans, which causes more noise.

a cold climate will require more warmup time. How long do you idle before driving off?
Shane4188

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Kentucky, USA. The Mideast I guess you would say. The climate here is pretty cold in the winter, but not too bad rarely below 15*F, and in the Summer rarely above 95*F. Definately not a high altitude or anything. I usually only idle for about 25 seconds before putting it into drive when it is warm (above 40*F), and when it is below 40 I often let it run for at least a minute or more. Thanks for your input!
raytech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to eliminate. remove the fan. Start up. Listen. If it is quiet, then it WAS the fan, else we need to look elsewhere.
Shane4188

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good idea. The fan is an absolute beast to get off so I think I am gonna leave it on and just deal with it. That clutch idea seems to explain it. That is definately what is sounds like is just roaring air. The bolts holding the fan on are tough to get to with that air shield around it and they are kind of stripped. I would rather not risk it. I would really like to get an electric fan for it and save some gas. Thanks for the input guys!
Shane4188

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get an electric fan for my 1993 JGC 4.0L I6? Thanks,

Shane
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: