Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roll cage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ione

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: roll cage Reply with quote

Anyone got any positive or negative comments on installing after market beefing up of the stock sports bar from the factory? Does it help? I see ORF is one mfg. Any other recommendations?
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this months JP magazine, there were at least a dozen companies that make bolt-in and weld-in cages for the TJ, articles in the back of the magazine.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a company called Poison Spyder that makes good trail armor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
There's a company called Poison Spyder that makes good trail armor

I've got a few of their items, the items are good, just watch their powder coating, I've already got rust on my rock rings and their only 2 years old.

Amsoil Dealer
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the bolt in cages are considered "sport cages" meaning that it doesn't provide the protection that an actual cage would provide. Still it's stronger than the factory set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I've always heard.

My Morning Jacket
tinybluetj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weld it to the frame. Try to stay away from the 'bolt on' variety.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
Most of the bolt in cages are considered "sport cages" meaning that it doesn't provide the protection that an actual cage would provide. Still it's stronger than the factory set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I've always heard.

True enough, welded in is always better (if the welder has a clue), but if you just can't get to a good welder or don't have the skills yourself, the bolt-in option is better than what you have via OEM.

Amsoil Dealer
typac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toys by troy makes a great bolt in kit. check out this. it shows a jeep roll over a couple of times with this sport bar. and it holds up great.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/tbtsptbar/rc-1.htm
V7Sport73

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Roll Cage Reply with quote

Iím new to the Jeep form but when I found this posting I couldnít help but make a reply. I manufactured roll cages for street and off road trucks for a short time. So I do have a thought on installing roll cages. First you must think about what you are going to do with your Jeep. Is it strictly for off road? Well you be wearing a helmet in your new cage? The reason I ask these questions is because statistically speaking, if driving on the street you have a far greater chance of being critically injured or killed by an after market cage than you will ever have of saving your life. Adding steel bars around your head is not something to take lightly. Those neat little grab handles offered by some of those after market cage manufactures is the most deadly thing Iíve ever seen on a cage. Jeep engineers put a lot of thought into those cages. The factory cage works extremely well. Just look at some of the crashed Jeeps for sale on ebay. You will see that at high speed rollovers the factory cages hold up great. Just ask yourself where you spend the most time in your Jeep before you buy that cage. And donít forget that 7 out of 10 crashes have more that one occupant. So you should think what might happen to your passenger in a rollover as well. Just my personal thought. Sincerely, AR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: