Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 simple Q's

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scholz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: 2 simple Q's Reply with quote

First let me say great forum, Ive been lurking for a bit but this is my 1st post.

OK now the questions.
1. Im going to change my gear shifter knob. Can you tell me what the thread pattern is?

2. What brand and where is the best place to buy a high lift jack and a mount for it?

BTW if it matters I have a 99 TJ "sport".

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have no idea on the 1st question. As far as #2 goes, you can go to quadratec.com and purchase a Hi Lift Jack and a some accsesories for it. Hi Lift is the brand, and I think there are two version's one is 42" and the other is in the 60" range I believe (not sure on the 60" one it might be in the 50" range.) It's an item that priced just about the same anywhere you purchaase it from.

My Morning Jacket
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2 simple Q's Reply with quote

Scholz wrote:
First let me say great forum, Ive been lurking for a bit but this is my 1st post.

OK now the questions.
1. Im going to change my gear shifter knob. Can you tell me what the thread pattern is?

3/8-16 inch threads, why not throw in a new short throw shifter while your at it?! Smile

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For question #2, it's a whole lot cheaper to go to your local Tractor Supply....they have the cast iron jacks for about $42 (that was the price I paid a year ago)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but that is a different brand from Hi Lift, right?

My Morning Jacket
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, mine was the same thing that's pictured in the Quadratec magazine, down to the materials used to make it.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does brand really matter? as long as it uses quality materials I dont think it does
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can find those tractor lift things on ebay, saw one for 29 once, buy it now. Shipping was like 15-20. So great deal, seems identical to hi-lift
Scholz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for all the replies. I didnt mean the brand high lift, just a tall jack. Sorry, guess I should have worded it a lil different.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differences - some are cast and others are stamped. Something else to think about (if it's important to you) is where it's made. Is it made in the US or in China? Which table would you rather put food on? Wink
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srb96bravo wrote:
can find those tractor lift things on ebay, saw one for 29 once, buy it now. Shipping was like 15-20. So great deal, seems identical to hi-lift

Ok, $29 + $20 = $49...when you can get the actual thing at a farming store for $7 cheaper.

As Code3TJ said, some are stamped, some are Cast...

the stamped jacks are BLACK with RED handles

the cast jacks are RED with BLACK handles

They can both lift the same weight, it's just the integrity of the materials that are used, and the final price of the jack of course.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are differences thats why i said as long as they are built well and made out of quality materials what does brand name matter?
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my cast hi-lift at a farm store for about $42 also. As for mounting, I was able to mount it for under $10. If you can spare the space, buy some fence clamps, carriage bolts, nuts, washers, and some rubber strips. Then mount it to the back two roll bar posts. It fits almost perfect, and there is minimal noise. (Not that that matters in a Jeep.) There are pics on the net some where (heck, it may even be here) I don't remember where I saw the idea, but it works great.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics are on the.....oh crap....I'm gonna say it!......JF shock Lips are sealed

rofl
HTH,
Stevo Smile

(P.S. -- You can find them yourself cause I tried searching and they wouldn't let me -- oh well.)
gnurob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 48" Jackall and am familiar with the well known Hi-Lift. This are virtually identical except the Jackall has a better base. These "high lift"/farm jacks are awesome. Search the net for recovery tricks like rigging them to chains.

Mine fits perfectly behind the rear roll bar mounts of the TJ. The base sits flat just inside of the roll bar and the end of the bar rests on the bottom edge of the hard top under the rear wiper wash fluid tube. A ratchet strap connected to the floor cargo hooks keeps it in place.

I plan on buying a Tough Stuff Hood Rack and leaving out out on the hood. Best place to put it (especially after it gets dirty). Other mount options include roof rack bracket attachments, rear tire carries, inside the front bumper, on top of the front bumper with brackets, etc.

What ever you do, get one. :-D

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: