Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spring spacers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: spring spacers? Reply with quote

if i add 1.75" spring spacers on my jeep grand cherokee above my 3inch lift kit will i have driveline problems or will i be fine?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id invest in adjustble control arms all the way around, uppers and lowers, but you mite be able to get by with lowers for awhile no guarantee though
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Jeep reacts a little differently to lifting...but, with that much lift you'll probably need to do an SYE.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy's got more than much lift and no sye, but your right every jeep reacts differently

i talked to swampy about doin the spacers on my lift setup now and he suggested that i get adjustable control arms all the way around
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ive been looking at adjustable control arms all around off of rustyoffroad.com for upper and lower adjustable control arms and heavy duty adjustable trac-bars for around 1300? think its worth it?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can almost get a 4.5 inch RE lift for that much
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? damn...yeah i spend around 500 total on the rusty's offroad 3inch llift kit and it comes with just 4 springs, 4 shocks and thats it....and yeah i have been looking now and damn i am now wishing i would have gotten a better one....what do u guys think i should do? just get a lift kit that has adjustable control arms and all that or what....i would like for sumone to alteast tell me what kinda lift kit i could get and not have to go and buy adjustable control arms and shit after like im gunna be dealing with now....RE 4.5.......am i gunna need new driveshafts for that or can i get away with doin nothin?
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i wanted to get the RE 4.5 kit do i just need to install a sye? and how hard is it to install...im not experienced...so call me a dumbass for now...how hard is it? could i do it or should i get a shop to do it
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed that 3" lift yet? If not, try to sell it for close to the retail value or try to see if they will refund your money.

You're no dumbass, I know what is involved in an SYE install, but I have never done one...I'm also not jumping at the bit to tear my T-case apart, haha. So unless I'm a dumbass... Lips are sealed ...you're not one either.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but installing an SYE involves tearing into your t-case?

If you feel like that's not something you want to do, then yes, a shop can do that for you.

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive installed the rea lift kit and the front is still in the box...i wouldnt mind buying the RE 4.5" and just selling the rusty'soffroad one on ebay or sumthing cause i installed it and i didnt even drive the damn jeep yet cause i have problem with the tranny right now...i have money for that...but im thinkin down the road after the tranny save up for the RE kit....the jeep is kinda a project for me till around august cause i only have my learners license till around then and yeah ill prob just get a shop to instal a SYE
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was you i would fix the tranny, sell the 3 inch lift and save up for the RE 4.5 lift, thats what i wish i had done cuz then if you want another inch or 2 later you can adjust the arms, yes the SYE involves tearing into your tcase but from what i read its not terribly hard

the RE 4.5 kit installs right out of the box and you shouldnt need any driveline modification, as i said before swampys over 4.5 inches and he has stock shafts and no sye
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats acutally my plan, get the tranny fixed...to a t-case swap and then sell the 3inch lift and buy the RE 4.5inch kit and install it Finger
and well i guess when i install it i will see if i can get away without a SYE and if i cant then ill have to tow it sumwhere where they can do it or i can try to figure it out...its just a pain in the ass to unbolt the t-case underthere i found....
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive done it twice, its not that bad, just the top bolt is the problem and i just took an old wrench and cut it in half to get to it
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the angle is too bad when you need to tow it, I would highly suggest disconnecting the driveshaft so it doesn't do any damage to the driveline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah id prob have the driveshafts off anyways cause i would try to drop the t-case and swap it for a 231...ive heard they are the way to go if u have a V8 so im gunna try to look for one....the cherokee 231 t-cases would fit my jeep right? i hope so....and if i dont find a cherokee what year range should i look for in the zj's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: