Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Couple Questions from a Newbie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: A Couple Questions from a Newbie Reply with quote

Hello, Iím new to Jeep Horizons and I had a couple of questions. First off I just wanted to say that Iíve been reading through many of the discussions and have learned a lot. I recently acquired a 1999 TJ Sahara edition as a DD and I love it and I want to get into off roading. I have been looking at getting the OME ďDelux TJ/LJ Wrangler KitĒ at dpgoffroad.com with 33x10.5x15 BFG MTís on the stock 15x8, 5 hole rims. Any experience with any of these components? Any flaws in this set-up? And will I have any rub with the 10.5 width tires? Thanks.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OME lift is IMHO the best lift for the money. It works. Awsome ride on and offroad. DPG knowes OME lifts better than any other vendor and is a honest guy and will steer you in the right direction.

BFG MT is a realy good tire offroad. On road they are like any other MT, there noisey, they wander a bit and are so-so on icey conditions. Good in snow, lousey on ice. A little slippery on wet pavement too, so just use your head on tight fast turns in rainy weather.

I think your ok with the 10.5 width after you lift it. 12.5 would certainly rub.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
SnowDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have another question. After a lift and bigger tires will I have to do something to compensate for it on the speedo or the odometer? Thanks.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get speedo gears to match the tire diameter and gears. What gears do you have now? IF 3.07 or 3.73 you want to realy concider going at least 4.11's for 33's. 3.07's are horrible with 33's and 3.73 are marginal.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
SnowDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where I could get those gears? Will they have them at my local auto parts store or will I have to order them? I didn't see any at 4 Wheel Drive Hardwear but I did find them at Quadratec but they only said how many teeth there were on the gear. How does that translate into the #'s you gave me? Thanks.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers he gave you were for the gears in the differentials.

What those numbers mean is the number of times your driveshaft spins compared to your tires. (i.e. 4.11 gearing means your driveshaft spins 4.11 times for every revolution of the tire. Correct writting of the gearing is 4.11:1 but it's easier to leave off the ":1" because everyone knows what you are talking about if you just say 4.11.)

You can get them from Quadratec or even from the Stealership, but only go to them if you absolutely have to.

Quadratec should have a chart somewhere telling you about Tire diameter vs. gear ratio and which speedo gear you need in comparison to the two. If you don't have their magazine, I'd highly suggest signing up on thier website to recieve a mail order catalog for free!

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnowDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's 3.07. That's what came standard. So am i going to have trouble with 33's? and if so the only way to fix it would be to get new axles right? Sounds like a little more work that I was planning on doing. Confused
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll definitely feel a loss in performance when you go up to the 33's. You don't have to switch out a whole axle, simply the gears inside. You can live for awhile without the gear switch, but since you have 3.07's (so I'm guessing it's a manual), don't expect to be using 5th gear much, if at all.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
You'll definitely feel a loss in performance when you go up to the 33's. You don't have to switch out a whole axle, simply the gears inside. You can live for awhile without the gear switch, but since you have 3.07's (so I'm guessing it's a manual), don't expect to be using 5th gear much, if at all.

ditto...sadly I'm still riding on 33s w ith 3.07s...the ONLY time I can use 5th is if I'm on a downhill slope on the interstate....and sometimes not even then if the wind kicks up.

I'm not one of those that loves 33s with 3.07s, I'm just a poor college student on a budget, and found out too late that I had 3.07s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do u guys think the gearing is in a automatic 93 ZJ? when i get the RE 4.5 lift i wanna run 33's and am woundering if everything stock can hold up
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeeps a 1993 ZJ limited...5.2L awd for now
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im willing to bet you have 3.73s, with the v8, auto and those gears you wont have much of a problem, you may decide to switch to 4.10s but i dont think you would HAVE to
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so id be fine...thanks 1fox2go
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure thing, id like to have 3.73s cuz i do alot of Highway driving adn they would keep my RPMs under 2500 where it was stock
p_2_biking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its gunna be a daily driver and a weekend 4wheeler so i think ill kepe it stock Twisted Evil i hope everything else holds up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: